How to Correctly Model Captains and Players in an NHL ER Diagram?

  • Topic: Comp Sci 
  • Thread starter Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diagram
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
shivajikobardan
Messages
637
Reaction score
54
Homework Statement
My main confusion is can I use "ISA" in captain and player? Can I use generalization there?
Relevant Equations
None
Suppose you are given the following requirements for a simple database for the National Hockey League (NHL):
1) the NHL has many teams,

2) each team has a name, a city, a coach, a captain, and a set of players.

3) each player belongs to only one team,

4) each player has a name, a position (such as left wing or goalie), a skill level, and a set of injury records,

5) a team captain is also a player,

6) a game is played between two teams (referred to as host_team and guest_team) and has a date (such as May 11th, 1999) and a score (such as 4 to 2).
Here's my solution. Is it correct?
_x1alSrtX1a24LpxNl7LpFD-UbpUUr0TCYqfYOFCNXui8u53vA.png

My main confusion is can I use "ISA" in captain and player? Can I use generalization there?Here's the solution to this problem.
https://www2.cs.sfu.ca/CourseCentral/354/louie/Chap2_practice_key.pdf
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Don't you usually do a functional dependency diagram?
Not when the question asks for an entity relationship diagram :-p (see the title)
shivajikobardan said:
Homework Statement:: My main confusion is can I use "ISA" in captain and player? Can I use generalization there?
No, your main confusion is that you have two different entities for "captain" and "player".
 
pbuk said:
No, your main confusion is that you have two different entities for "captain" and "player".
Hmm, so that's a mistake in your opinion?