How to CREATE a green triangle in EXCEL

In summary, on the internet there is information on how to get rid of the triangle that indicates an error in the formula in the cell, but in reality in a work place it is still necessary to use this error triangle. There is a way to fix the source of the error, but it is a strange requirement.
mindauggas
On the internet there is only information on how to get rid of the trianglethat indicates an error in the formula in the cell.

But in my workplace I need to upload data to a program and sometimes a successful upload requires that the data in my excel cells be marked by this error-triangle.

How to mark multiple cells with it. I only know that you have to enter a number, choose text format in the home tab "number" section and to press smth. Can anyone tell? :)

Computer science news on Phys.org
mindauggas said:
sometimes a successful upload requires that the data in my excel cells be marked by this error-triangle.
I would try to find and fix the source of that, instead of an attempt to use a bug of unknown source and behavior.

If i remember correctly (been a while since I've used excel) the small green triangle indicates inconsistant data

For example
=A1+B1+1
=A2+B2+2
=A3+B4+3 (green triangle)
=A4+B4+4
=A5+B5+5

Strange that they would require inconsistant data unless all the formula's are entered manually.

If this is the case i would have to agree with mfb, if not re enter the information with inconsistant formulas with the same results.

example
original data
=1
=2
=3

changed data to give error triangles
=1+2-2
=2
=3-3+3

Personally i would just change the highlight colour to green to show what ones are ment to have the triangle...

Overall its a very strange thing to require in my opinion.

Last edited:
after doing a fair bit of excel today at my work place (updating reports for universities) the green number only shows up when numbers are formatted as text. in my opinion if you want it to show up select the whole table and right click format, as text. alternatively save as a .csv file and then reopen in excel, this removes all formatting effectively then save again as the required file format. this may fix any uploading issues ect.

I understand the importance of accurately representing data and the need for specific symbols to indicate errors or other information. In Excel, the green triangle is commonly used to indicate a potential error in a formula or cell. However, it is not a default feature and may need to be enabled in order to use it.

To create a green triangle in Excel, you can follow these steps:

1. Select the cell or cells where you want the green triangle to appear.
2. Go to the "Data" tab and click on "Data Validation" in the "Data Tools" section.
3. In the "Data Validation" window, go to the "Error Alert" tab.
4. Check the box next to "Show error alert after invalid data is entered."
5. In the "Style" dropdown menu, select "Information."
6. In the "Title" field, enter a title for the error message (e.g. "Data Error").
7. In the "Error message" field, enter a message explaining the error (e.g. "Please check your formula for errors").
8. Click "OK" to save the changes.

Now, when there is an error in the selected cells, a green triangle will appear in the upper left corner of the cell. This will help you easily identify and correct any errors in your data.

To mark multiple cells with the green triangle, you can follow these steps:

1. Select all the cells where you want the green triangle to appear.
2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the menu.
3. In the "Format Cells" window, go to the "Number" tab.
4. In the "Category" list, select "Custom."
5. In the "Type" field, enter the following code: "0;"@ (without the quotation marks).
6. Click "OK" to save the changes.

Now, any cell in the selected range that contains a number will display the green triangle. This can be useful for indicating missing data or any other information that needs to be highlighted.

In conclusion, the green triangle in Excel can be a helpful tool for identifying errors in data and can also be customized for various purposes. I hope this information helps you in your work.

1. How do I create a green triangle in Excel?

To create a green triangle in Excel, you can use the shape tool located in the "Insert" tab. Select the triangle shape, draw it onto your worksheet, and then use the "Shape Fill" option to choose the color green.

2. Can I customize the size of the green triangle in Excel?

Yes, you can customize the size of the green triangle by clicking and dragging on the corners of the shape. You can also use the "Size" option in the "Format" tab to enter specific dimensions for your triangle.

3. How can I change the shade of green for my triangle in Excel?

To change the shade of green for your triangle, select the shape and then go to the "Shape Fill" option. From there, you can use the color palette or the "More Colors" option to choose a different shade of green.

4. Is it possible to add text to a green triangle in Excel?

Yes, you can add text to a green triangle in Excel by right-clicking on the shape and selecting "Add Text". You can then type your desired text and use the formatting options to adjust the font, size, and color.

5. Can I copy and paste a green triangle in Excel?

Yes, you can copy and paste a green triangle in Excel by selecting the shape and using the shortcut keys "Ctrl + C" to copy and "Ctrl + V" to paste. You can also right-click on the shape and choose the "Copy" and "Paste" options.