1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to create a mathematical model of investment?

1. Feb 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Someone with no initial capital ##S_0=0## invests ##k \frac{dollar}{year}## at an annual rate of return ##r##. Assume that investments are made continuously and that the return is compounded continuously."

Find the solution ##S## that solves the differential equation modeling this scenario.

2. Relevant equations
    Let ##S## be the amount of capital at any time.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to make sure that the units of all my quantities are the same, but the main problem I'm having is the discontinuity at ##t=0## when I divide ##S## by ##t##.

##\frac{dS}{dt}=\frac{S}{t}+k(r+1)##
    ##\frac{dS}{dt}-\frac{S}{t}=k(r+1)##
    ##\frac{d}{dt}(t^{-1}S)=\frac{k(r+1)}{t}##
    ##S(t)=(tlnt)(k(r+1))##

I frankly do not know how to model this problem. Can anyone help me understand what is happening in this problem? It's hard to insert ##S## into the equation because the ##\frac{dS}{dt}## does not rely on ##S##; it relies on the rate of return ##r## which only applies to the yearly investments ##k##. Then it's compounded continually...? I do not understand this.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a very small time increment of ##\Delta t## years, the amount invested between times ##t## and ##t + \Delta t## is ##k \Delta t ## dollars; that is what is meant by a continuous investment at rate ##k##.

If S(t) is the amount in the bank at time ##t## (years) we have
    $$S(t+\Delta t) = S(t) (1 + r \Delta t) + k \Delta t \hspace{2cm}(1)$$
    because the balance ##\$S(t)## at ##t## would grow by the interest-rate factor factor ##1 + r \Delta t## in the short time interval of length ##\Delta t##, even if we did not invest any more---but additional investment makes it grow more. That is what continuous compounding means: a dollar in the account at time zero grows to ##\$e^{rt}## by time ##t > 0##, and so the growth in value from ##t## to ##t + \Delta t## is
    $$e^{r(t +\Delta t)} - e^{rt} = e^{rt} \left( e^{r \Delta t}-1 \right) \doteq e^{rt} (1 + \Delta t),$$
    which is a growth rate of ##1 + r \Delta t.##

We get the differential equation for ##S(t)## from eq.(1) above.

For more on continuous compounding, see, eg.,
    http://www-stat.wharton.upenn.edu/~waterman/Teaching/IntroMath99/Class04/Notes/node11.htm
    http://people.duke.edu/~charvey/Classes/ba350_1997/preassignment/proof1.htm
    http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/539115/proof-of-continuous-compounding-formula

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  4. Feb 1, 2017 #3
    Thanks. Should I worry about the equation being continuous at ##t=0##? Yes, right? So I can't have any of the variables be divided by ##t## for the ##\frac{dollar}{year}## unit.

5. Feb 1, 2017 #4
    Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my current model?

##\frac{dS}{dt}=r(S+kt)=rS+rkt##
    ##\frac{dS}{dt}-rS=rkt##
    ##\frac{d}{dt}(Se^{-rt})=(rkt)(e^{-rt})##

Basically, I get an equation with an extra linear term: ##S(t)=-kt+\frac{k}{r}(e^{rt}-1)##. It's another equation that satisfies the IVP at ##S(0)=0##. I'm not sure what to make of that, but at least I got something done tonight.

6. Feb 1, 2017 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The model above assumes that the person invests at rate ##kt## at time t, so is a variable investment rate that increases over time. The problem told you the investment rate is constant, not variable.

I have no idea what you are talking about. There is no issue of discontinuity anywhere, even at ##t = 0##. You do not divide by ##t##---that is not what rates are about. I explained exactly what was meant by rates, so all you need to do is re-read the post.

7. Feb 1, 2017 #6
    Oh, I got it: ##\frac{dS}{dt}=r(S+\frac{k}{r})##.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted