1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling epidemics - solving differential equation

1. Nov 19, 2016 #1
    • Moved from a technical math section, so no template was used
    I am given a modified SIR model in which the rate of decrease of susceptibles S is proportional to the number of susceptibles and the square-root of the number if infectives, I. If the number R of those who have been removed or recovered increases in proportion to the infectives, we have the following equations:
    dS/dt = -α*S*√(I)
    dR/dt = β*I where α and β are positive constants. If the total population, N = S + R + I does not change over time, shade the region of the S-I plane in which I increases.

To find the region, as far as I understand, I need to first find the differential equation for dS/dt which is
    α*S*√(I) - β*I. Then, I need to consider the following differential equation:
    dI/dS = -1 + {β*√(I)}/α*S}
    which I am not sure how to solve since I cannot separate the variables and the method with integrating factor is not applicable either.
    I also tried considering dS/dI but it looked even worse.

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Express that algebraically.
    Which tells you what in terms of rate of change of I?

4. Nov 20, 2016 #3
    Hi, thank you for your reply, I am not quite sure what you mean. If I express I algebraically, then I'll obtain I = N - S - R
    But then I am not sure how this is will solve the differential equation since I am considering dI/dS and the expression I = N - S - R also introduces R.

5. Nov 20, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, I mean express algebraically the statement that I increases.
    Why? The question asks in which region of the I-S space I increases with time.

6. Nov 20, 2016 #5
    Hmmmm... I am sorry but I still do not get what you are trying to say. As far as I understand, since the question asks to shade the region of the I-S space in which I increases with time, I need to obtain the function I(S) or S(I) which I can get by solving the differential equation. However, I will increase with time when dI/dt >0, i.e. α*S*√(I) - β*I>0. So, when -dS/dt - dR/dt>0 which implies that -dS/dt>dR/dt but I am not sure how this can help to find the region.

7. Nov 20, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I do not follow the logic of that.
    You are almost there! Just simplify.

8. Nov 20, 2016 #7
    Ohhh, I see! So, I get that I < {(α)^2 * (S)^2}/{β^2} which is a parabola starting at the origin. Therefore, the shaded region should be under S-axis (if I plot I as y-axis and S as x-axis).

9. Nov 20, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right.

10. Nov 20, 2016 #9
    Thank you for your help!

11. Nov 21, 2016 #10
    Actually, I have just realised that the shaded area should be the area not under negative x-axis but under the parabola. So, it will be the entire area under x-axis and some of the area above it but below the parabola.

12. Nov 21, 2016 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, yes, I hadn't read your previous reply carefully enough, sorry. Got to the mention of parabola and stopped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted