Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How To Create Micropump Using Miniature Motor (Cannot contact liquid)

1. Aug 17, 2011 #1
    Hi I am having a little trouble designing a micropump out of a mini dc motor-it needs to be able to extract small amounts of liquid (approximately 50 microliters) through a small tube (diameter 0.2 cm or 2 mm) without having the liquid pass through it. Is there any way I can use the motor to create some sort pull or vacuum at the end of the tube to pull the liquid through the tube? I am also open to any other ideas that would help me design a pulling or extracting mechanism using this miniature motor. Basically, I am hoping to create this pump as part of the design of a medical device.
    Many thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2011 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your only choice is to create a vacuum, which should be pretty straightforward with a fixed displacement compressor like a piston.

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3

taylaron

Gold Member

If your situation permits, you may be able to utilize magneto-hydrodynamics for this purpose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook