How to create the operator of unknown beamsplitter

In summary, the conversation discusses the experiment of designing a beamsplitter in the field of quantum optics and how to calculate its operator in matrix form. The focus is on using the Fresnel coefficients to determine the splitting and the Hong Ou Mandel experiment as a reference for constructing a unitary matrix representation. The speaker also notes that the experiment may be more advanced and suggests additional sources for information.
Pattarasak
Hello everyone, I'm undergraduate and my project is an experiment in the field of quantum optics. For now, I have an Unknown beamsplitter in my lab and I want to calculate the operator of this beamsplitter in matrix form (this BS is not perfected equipment because the reflected beam is not linear polarization ). Can anyone tell me how to design this experiment and what type of information that I have to measure to calculate the operator? thank you for the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are ultimately attempting may be more advanced than anything I have done, but for some more introductory material, I presume the beamsplitter has optically flat and very parallel faces, has a finite thickness, and has one side coated with an AR coating. All of the dielectric partial reflection is then assumed to occur from the uncoated face. The Fresnel coefficients can be used to calculate how the splitting occurs. See also the Insights article https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/fabry-perot-michelson-interferometry-fundamental-approach/ that I authored. ## \\ ## I specialize somewhat in Optics, but not Quantum Optics, so that you might be needing quite a bit more than this, but perhaps you might find this of some use.

Likes Pattarasak
Hi Pattarasak,
If you do a google search for the Hong Ou Mandel experiment you will find many explanations of the way to construct a unitary matrix representation of the beam splitter in quantum optics.

Likes Pattarasak

What is a beamsplitter?

A beamsplitter is an optical device that splits an incoming light beam into two separate beams. It is commonly used in experiments and optical instruments to control the direction and intensity of light.

Why would I want to create an operator for an unknown beamsplitter?

Creating an operator for an unknown beamsplitter allows you to model and predict the behavior of the beamsplitter in a particular experiment or instrument. This can help you optimize your setup and understand the effects of the beamsplitter on the light beams passing through it.

What is the process for creating an operator for an unknown beamsplitter?

The process for creating an operator for an unknown beamsplitter involves first determining the physical properties of the beamsplitter, such as its material, thickness, and angle of incidence. Then, using the principles of optics and mathematical equations, you can create an operator that describes how the beamsplitter will affect light passing through it.

Can I use an existing operator for a known beamsplitter to create an operator for an unknown one?

Yes, if you know the physical properties of the unknown beamsplitter are similar to a known one, you can use the existing operator as a starting point and make adjustments as needed. However, it is important to validate the accuracy of the operator through experimentation.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the operator for an unknown beamsplitter?

The accuracy of the operator for an unknown beamsplitter can be affected by factors such as imperfections in the beamsplitter's surface, variations in the material properties, and changes in the angle of incidence or wavelength of the light passing through it. It is important to consider these factors and make adjustments to the operator as needed to improve its accuracy.