How to deal with feeling of not wanting to learn anything?

• Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
In summary: No doubt, but "can't read text material" is also a serious...In summary, the person has been feeling overwhelmed with studying since their exams ended and they are now facing the challenge of learning from textual content without any videos available. They are struggling to find motivation to start studying and are seeking guidance on how to learn from text content. The other person suggests focusing on the task at hand and not getting overwhelmed by the entire to-do list, and also emphasizes the importance of delayed gratification for future success. They also mention their own experience of learning from books without the internet or videos. The person continues to express their struggle with learning from text content and the lack of exercises or projects in the course. The other person suggests that a university degree
shivajikobardan said:
IDK..I have been feeling this since a long time. How do I fix this feeling?
Perhaps you have forgotten your reasons for starting down this road in the first place.

I recall being unmotivated in my 2ndary and post-2ndary years. That's because my immediate desire was to live my life for the day, and never mind the future. The future was an adulting thing, and I wasn't ready to give up my carefree teens.

I have a whole chapter in my ersatz auto-biography entitled "The Lost Years".

I wish I could go back and ask my 20-something self: "Where do you want to be in your 30's? Do you still want to have an unfinished education and no idea where your life is going? Because your 30's will come, whether you act or not."

Likes PhDeezNutz, Mondayman, scompi and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Averagesupernova said:
Hmmmm. Can't motivate to study, can't motivate to get up in the morning, sounds like other issues in your life to me.
hmm I am also suffering from IDK I am taking 2 tablets-:
1) Risperidone sizodon
2) Sertraline Zosert

I guess I am taking medications for depression and asperger's syndrome.

DaveC426913 said:
I wish I could go back and ask my 20-something self: "Where do you want to be in your 30's? Do you still want to have an unfinished education and no idea where your life is going? Because your 30's will come, whether you act or not."
This dang is scary man. :(

Likes DaveC426913
PhDeezNutz said:
I think as others have suggested…….you need to see a therapist/psychiatrist if possible. You sound depressed to be honest.

Anyway "Introduction to Statistical Learning" is seen as a good intro text to Machine Learning/Big Data and it's available for free by the publisher online. This one will get you started but leave you mathematically wanting more.

https://www.statlearning.com/

As is elements of statistical learning (A little bit more hardcore than the one above but its followup)

https://hastie.su.domains/ElemStatLearn/
1) Risperidone sizodon
2) Sertraline Zosert

https://ioesolutions.esign.com.np/contents/elective-ii-big-data-technologies-ct-765-07

scompi said:
How did you succeed in any previous courses that used text as the primary teaching method? Anyway, you're not limited to the resource(s) provided by your instructor. You mentioned "big data" in your first post. A quick YouTube search yields countless videos. Maybe try some of those to start?
I succeed in them because they were numericals. It was easy for me to learn mathematics. It is hard for me to learn from pure text like computer science.
scompi said:
Perhaps he is exaggerating, but it is not at all uncommon for CS students to lack programming skill. After all, the focus of the degree is to prepare the student for academic research, not industry.

1) Risperidone sizodon
2) Sertraline Zosert

https://ioesolutions.esign.com.np/contents/elective-ii-big-data-technologies-ct-765-07

symbolipoint said:
One of the quotes did not get into the post.
What are you studying?
Computer Engineering
symbolipoint said:
Are you an enrolled student in a college or university?
University
symbolipoint said:
At what level are you?
Bachelors.
symbolipoint said:
Maybe I ask this prematurely, not having yet read past #14.

gleem said:
Is the problem, a reading or perhaps learning disability e.g., dyslexia? This has nothing to do with intelligence.
Perhaps finding a psychologist specializing in reading/learning problems would be more beneficial.
I have asperger's syndrome imo. In Nepal doctors don't tell you what medications you are getting for...I know the meds but i don't know what has happened to me...And we don't find it good to ask about that. I am sure I have ADHD, dyslexia or apserger's syndrome one of them.

shivajikobardan said:
I have asperger's syndrome imo. In Nepal doctors don't tell you what medications you are getting for...I know the meds but i don't know what has happened to me...And we don't find it good to ask about that. I am sure I have ADHD, dyslexia or apserger's syndrome one of them.
You must ask your doctor about that. Explain your situation. These are serious issues that require professional help.

Likes berkeman
scompi said:
You must ask your doctor about that. Explain your situation. These are serious issues that require professional help.
as i said i am already taking medications. there is really not much professional help can do here.

Well, I think we've offered all of the helpful advice that we can, and it's still worth talking more with your doctor about this. If the meds are not working well for you, they should be able to try others. There are a number of therapies to help you with your depression and other issues.

Thread is closed.

Likes CalcNerd