Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to deal with preexam anxiety?

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    How you guys deal when you feel nervous before an exam?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2
    I make sure that I am as prepared as I can possibly be. Then, I take a deep breath, step back and realize that whatever happens in there, happens. I'll just give it my best and let my preparation take over.

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3

Dembadon

Gold Member

Exercising or going out and doing something with my wife and/or friends usually helps--a little. Of course, this is only after adequate preparation, but that should go without saying. :smile:

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4
    not sure..but just be prepared..sometimes energy drink drinks/pills works for me..

i'm gonna have presentation this week,and i'm stage fright

6. Sep 18, 2011 #5
    Thanks for reply man

7. Sep 18, 2011 #6
    Preparation and some time to quiet mind thanks man.

8. Sep 18, 2011 #7
    hehe what presentation about man?

ill train hard

9. Sep 19, 2011 #8
    I run in circles, wave arms and scream.

10. Sep 19, 2011 #9

Dembadon

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl:

The visual is what did it.

11. Sep 19, 2011 #10

FlexGunship

Gold Member

You know, that's one thing I've never had. I get pre-race anxiety every time I put the harness and helmet on, but exams never got to me.

I've always been able to convince myself that an exam is a test of what I already know. Maybe the reason you're getting nervous is because you have an unrealistic mental image of the exam. It's just a collection of questions whose goal is to let you prove how much you know about something. An exam is a time for showing off and showboating!!

When you start in on an exam, don't swallow a question all at once. You wouldn't do that in the real world! Write stuff out, show off how neatly you can organize your thoughts, and prove that each step is a high-confidence move on your part. Identify relationships in the problem; is there a formula you know for that relationship? Write it down before even trying to use it.

Show that exam who's in charge! It's not testing you, it's letting you prove what you know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook