1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to define a parabola in 3d coordinate system.

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    Currently im using a graphying application called "Autograph" and modeling a building with a dome shaped roof on top. I need to define parabolic shapes in 3d system.
    But i cant do it ( my math knowledge is pretty elementary)
    What would be the basic parabolic function in 3d that i can base my model on?
    I have three sets of coordinates that have to be on the parabola.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2
    in the x y z system, i want this parabolic functionto go through (-75, 36, 0) (0,36, 36) (75,-36,0)

4. Jul 18, 2010 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

If we start out with [tex]z=ax^2[/tex] in the xz-plane, we can translate and rotate it to the parabola in 3d. We can obviously get all 3-dimensional parabolas by varying a and doing rotations and translations.

The parameterization is the following: [tex]P(t) = [t,0,at^2][/tex].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix#Three_dimensions

Now rotate it around the x,y and z axis by angles v,u and w respectively. We do this by matrix multiplication, so we must multiply [tex]P(t)[/tex] by [tex]R_z(w)R_y(u)R_x(v)[/tex]. After that we perform a translation by the arbitrary vector r.

So the general parabola is [tex]G(t) = R_z(w)R_y(u)R_x(v)P(t)+r[/tex]. You can find this on vector-form by multiplying out the matrices.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook