How to derive a number to the power x (e.g. 2^x)

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulty with finding derivatives for real numbers to the power x and x^x, and someone suggests using logarithmic differentiation to solve for the derivatives.
develish16
i recently started my calculus III course but i was stuck with the derivative part when i derive a real number to the power x ( like 2^x) and also when deriving x^x. does anybody have an idea or a link in which these kinds of derivatives can be solved. thanks for ur help

Physics news on Phys.org
Use "logarithmic differentiation". If [itex]y= x^x[/itex], then [itex]ln(y)= ln(x^x)= xln(x)[/itex]. Use the chain rule to differentiate ln(y) with respect to x (y'/y) and use the product rule on the right. Then solve for y'.

develish16 said:
i recently started my calculus III course but i was stuck with the derivative part when i derive a real number to the power x ( like 2^x) and also when deriving x^x. does anybody have an idea or a link in which these kinds of derivatives can be solved. thanks for ur help

2x = ex ln(2)

thx a lot guys that was so helpful

1. How do I calculate a number to the power of x?

The simplest way to calculate a number to the power of x is by using the exponentiation operator, which is represented by the "^" symbol. For example, to calculate 2 to the power of 3, you would write 2^3, which would give you the result of 8.

2. What is the meaning of "to the power of x"?

When we say "to the power of x," it means that the number is being multiplied by itself x number of times. For example, 2^3 means that 2 is being multiplied by itself 3 times, resulting in 8 (2 x 2 x 2).

3. What is the difference between a base number and an exponent?

The base number is the number that is being multiplied by itself, while the exponent is the number that determines how many times the base number is being multiplied. In the expression 2^3, 2 is the base number and 3 is the exponent.

4. Can I calculate a number to the power of a decimal or fraction?

Yes, you can calculate a number to the power of a decimal or fraction. This is known as a fractional or decimal exponent. For example, 2^0.5 is equal to the square root of 2, which is approximately 1.414. Similarly, 2^1/3 is equal to the cube root of 2, which is approximately 1.26.

5. What happens when I raise a negative number to a power?

When you raise a negative number to a power, the result depends on whether the exponent is even or odd. If the exponent is even, the result will always be positive. However, if the exponent is odd, the result will be negative. For example, (-2)^2 is equal to 4, while (-2)^3 is equal to -8.