How to Derive the Density of States in Anisotropic Conduction Bands?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
cscott
Messages
778
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



have band dispersion

[tex]\epsilon = \epsilon_c + \frac{h^2 k_x^2}{2 m_x} + \frac{h^2 k_y^2}{2 m_y} + \frac{h^2 k_z^2}{2 m_z}[/tex]

Show density of states is

[tex]g(\epsilon) = \frac{m^{3/2}}{\pi^2 h^2} \sqrt{2|\epsilon - \epsilon_c|}[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]2 \frac{d\vec{k}}{(2\pi)^3} = g(\epsilon) d\epsilon[/tex]

or

[tex]g(\epsilon) = \frac{1}{4 \pi^3} = \int \frac{|d\vec{S}|}{|(grad)_k \epsilon|}[/tex]
over a constant energy surface where the gradient is always perpendicular to the surface.

The Attempt at a Solution



For the first method I don't know how to solve for total magnitude of k so I can't procede.

Second method I get what appears to be a "not nice" integral, where

[tex]|(grad)_k \epsilon| = \sqrt{ \frac{h^4 k_x^2}{m_x^2} + \frac{h^4 k_y^2}{m_y^2} + \frac{h^4 k_z^2}{m_z^2}}[/tex]

I don't see how to do this nicely in spherical coords over the Fermi surface.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can rewrite [tex]|\nabla_k \epsilon|[/tex] in terms of [tex]\epsilon-\epsilon_c[/tex]. Then remember that the integral that you have to do is over a constant energy surface.