Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determin the equation of quadratic function?

1. Jul 25, 2009 #1
    Hi guys whats up. I just have a small question i wish to ask. If you are given vertex(-2,3) and it passes through point(2,5) how do you determine its equation? Its been around 6 months since i last did some math so i am having a hard time remembering. I am not asking you guys to solve it but just to show me how to tackle it =). thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I presume you are asking for a curve of the form y=ax2+bx+c.
    The vertex at (-2,3) gives you an equation y=a(x+2)2+3.
    Plug in the point value gives you 5=16a+3 or a=1/8.

4. Jul 26, 2009 #3
    hi, thanks for the reply but when a friend helped me out this is how we did it.

we used f(x) = a(x+2) + 3

then we sub'ed in our point (2,5) to get

5 = a(2+2)^2 + 3
    5 = a(4)^2 + 3
    5 = 16a + 3
    2 = 16a
    a = 8

after that we just put a back in to the equation to get

f(x) = 8(x+2)^2 + 3

is this correct?

Also another question i wanted to ask is how would i get the quadratic equation if you are given an X coordinate of the vertex in 2, a = -1 and passes through point (3,4)? This is what i am thinking but i dont know if this is correct.

f(x) = -1(x -2 )2 + 0
    4 = -1(3-2)2 + 0

and then i woudl go on from there?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  5. Jul 26, 2009 #4
    Yes.

[tex](1/8)x^2 + (1/2)x + 7/2 = 1/8 (x+2)^2+3[/tex]
    so it's the same answer mathman gave you.

You can check it in several ways (this is always a good exercise if you aren't completely sure of your answer). We need to check that (-2,3) and (2,5) satisfy your equation so we insert x=-2 and x=2 to check the values of y:
    [tex]1/8*(-2)^2 + 1/2 * (-2) + 7/2 = 3[/tex]
    [tex]1/8*(2)^2 + 1/2 * 2 + 7/2 = 5[/tex]
    Thus you graph passes through both points. You also need to verify that it has a minimum or maximum at x = -2. This can be checked in a number of ways. In general for an equation of form:
    [tex]ax^2 + bx + c = y[/tex]
    the minimum or maximum is at x = -2a/b. If you don't know this formula, but know a little calculus you can determine local maximum and minimum points by differentiating and setting the derivative equal to 0. This gives us:
    [tex]1/4x + 1/2 = 0[/tex]
    in your case which has the solution x = -2. Since we know that a parabola has exactly one minimum or maximum point and it's differentiable at all points we know that this is it so the vertex is at x = -2. Otherwise you could try to complete the square to get:
    [tex]y = 1/8(x+2)^2 + 3[/tex]
    which shows us that [tex]y\geq 3[/tex] because the square of a real number is non-negative. Hence the vertex is at y= 3 which verifies our answer of (-2,3) for the vertex.

EDIT: Apparently you edited your post while I replied and changed the correct answer to an incorrect answer. In the first formula you omitted ^2, but I expect this is a typo as you remember it in later formulas. After 2 = 16a you should get 1 = 8a which gives a= 1/8 as mathman pointed out, but you somehow got a=8 which is incorrect (16*8 is not 2). Apart from that you should read mathman's reply as his solution is exactly the same.

6. Jul 26, 2009 #5
    ya that ^2 was a mistake, i forgot to put it there. Thanks for the help though, your explanation makes things more clearer. Its been a while so i kinda forgot how to do this but your explanation helped me out =).

Also since i changed it to the wrong equation i am guessing i am doing this one wrong as well?

you are given an X coordinate of the vertex in 2, a = -1 and passes through point (3,4)

would the equation be this: y = - x² + 9x - 14?

thanks, help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  7. Jul 26, 2009 #6
    You did everything right except for the fact that you at some point got the equation 2= 16a and concluded that a =8. This step is not correct. You should have solved for a and gotten a = 1/8 and inserted that and then you would have gotten the correct answer.

No. The vertex is at the x-coordinate -9/(2(-1)) = 9/2 which is not 2. In general the vertex has an x-coordinate of -b/2a where b and a are the coefficients of x and x^2.

You are told that the x-coordinate of the vertex is 2 so you know it's of the form:
    f(x) = a(x-2)^2 + c
    where c is the y-coordinate of the vertex. You are told that a=-1 (I'm assuming that this is what was meant by a) so inserting this we get:
    f(x) = -(x-2)^2 + c
    Now inserting the point we get:
    4 = -(3-2)^2 + c
    4 = -(1)^2 + c
    4 = -1 + c
    c = 5
    Thus our function is:
    f(x) = -(x-2)^2 + 5
    Our in expanded form:
    f(x) = -x^2 + 4x + 1

8. Jul 26, 2009 #7
    Ok thanks =) i will give it a go and see if i get the same answer again. Also just a graphing Question...maybe i am just over analyzing things but.. I have to graph/create a family of functions with the same X coordinate and with the initial function of y = X squared.
    so i could graph some thing like this. (0,1) (0,2) (0,3) ??? is it that easy? I have never heard of family of functions untill today so idk.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook