1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine a Limits of Integration of Wave Packet

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a force-free particle of mass m described, at an instant of time t = 0, by
    the following wave packet:
    [itex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    0 \ \mathrm{for} \ |x| > a + \epsilon \\
    A \ \mathrm{for} \ |x| ≤ a \\
    -\frac{A}{\epsilon} (x − a − \epsilon) \ \mathrm{for} \ a < x ≤ a + \epsilon \\
    \frac{A}{\epsilon}(x + a + \epsilon) \ \mathrm{for} \ − a − \epsilon ≤ x < a \\
    \end{array}
    [/itex]
    where a, ε, and a normalization constant A are all positive numbers. Calculate mean
    values and variances of the position and momentum operators [itex] x , x^{2} , \sigma_{x} \ and \ p_{x}[/itex] .

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]
    1=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |\psi(x,t)|^{2}
    [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to determine normalization constant A. I don't know what kind of integration limits i should use for the case:
    [itex] A \ \mathrm{for} \ |x| ≤ a [/itex].
    Do you have any ideas ? Thanks in advance !

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a lot of intervals and need to use the fact that the integral will be a sum of integrals for each interval. So write all the integrals, compute them all the find A. Then compute all other items.

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3
    Ok , so far i have:
    [itex]\int_{??}^{??} A^{2} dx (?) -\frac{A^{2}}{\epsilon^{2}}\int_{a}^{a+\epsilon} (x-a-\epsilon)^{2} dx +\frac{A^{2}}{\epsilon^{2}}\int_{-a-\epsilon}^{a} (x+a+\epsilon)^{2} dx =1.[/itex] My question is what are the integration limits for the first integral ?

5. Nov 11, 2011 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where did you pick the first one from ? Is there an interval where the wavefunction is 1 ?

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5
    So, should i include first integral ? That was my problem/question ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook