How to determine a value of force for equilibrium

In summary, the problem involves finding the force exerted by the top of a ladder resting against a frictionless wall, with a weight of 240N, at an angle of 60 degrees from the ground. A 600-N man stands three-fourths of the distance from the top. The equations used are Στ = τ + τ + etc! and τ = F ⋅ L. The main difficulty lies in determining the length of the ladder and the exact location of the man on the ladder. The solution involves using a variable for the length of the ladder and applying similar triangles to determine the man's position. The final answer is 440N, which can be verified by posting the work.
Strontium90

Homework Statement

Hi, I was working on a homework problem and could not resolve it. The problem reads as follows:
A ladder that weighs 240N rests against a frictionless wall at an angle of 60 degrees from the ground. A 600-N man stands on the ladder three-fourths of the distance from the top. How much force does the top of the ladder exert on the wall?

Homework Equations

The equations used are:
Στ = τ + τ + etc!
τ = F ⋅ L

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) write out a simple free-body diagram with all of the know forces and information displayed. In particular, I illustrated the weights and the angle that was given by the problem. The main difficulty I had was the condition that " man stands on the ladder three-fourths of the distance from the top." Did that mean he was three-fourths along the way on the hypotenuse of the right triangle made by the ladder or along the wall? Another problem I had with this question was what was the relative length of the ladder. The problem did not specify what was the length of the ladder in question. I went with a length of one and used the trig values of the angle for the other sides. I was not able to come up with the answer in the book which was 440N.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the friction at the ground?

Strontium90 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I was working on a homework problem and could not resolve it. The problem reads as follows:
A ladder that weighs 240N rests against a frictionless wall at an angle of 60 degrees from the ground. A 600-N man stands on the ladder three-fourths of the distance from the top. How much force does the top of the ladder exert on the wall?

Homework Equations

The equations used are:
Στ = τ + τ + etc!
τ = F ⋅ L

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) write out a simple free-body diagram with all of the know forces and information displayed. In particular, I illustrated the weights and the angle that was given by the problem. The main difficulty I had was the condition that " man stands on the ladder three-fourths of the distance from the top." Did that mean he was three-fourths along the way on the hypotenuse of the right triangle made by the ladder or along the wall? Another problem I had with this question was what was the relative length of the ladder. The problem did not specify what was the length of the ladder in question. I went with a length of one and used the trig values of the angle for the other sides. I was not able to come up with the answer in the book which was 440N.
In cases like these, where a particular quantity is unknown, like the length of the ladder, it is OK to use a variable in place of a number, so the length of the ladder would be L.

In all likelihood, in the final answer, the value of L will not be a factor, or it will cancel out of the calculations at some point.

If the man is standing 3/4 of the distance from the top of the ladder, this implies that he is also standing 1/4 of the distance from the bottom. If you make a sketch of the ladder leaning against the wall, and you draw a sketch of the ladder, you'll quickly see that if you divide the length of the ladder in half, for example, by similar triangles, a line projected parallel to the ground from that halfway point on the hypotenuse of the triangle also divides the height of the ladder along the wall in half as well. Ditto for the base of the triangle. See the figure below:
http://00.edu-cdn.com/files/static/wiley/9780471330981/angular-measurements-dimensions-degrees-3.gif
This is also the general principle behind linear interpolation.

For more detailed help figuring out the answer to the ladder problem, you should post your work.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you define equilibrium in terms of forces?

Equilibrium occurs when the net force acting on an object is equal to zero. This means that all the forces acting on the object are balanced and there is no acceleration.

2. What factors affect the value of force for equilibrium?

The value of force for equilibrium is affected by the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object. Additionally, the mass and acceleration of the object also play a role in determining the force needed for equilibrium.

3. How do you calculate the value of force for equilibrium?

To calculate the force needed for equilibrium, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, use the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration (which should be zero for equilibrium). Rearrange the equation to solve for force (F).

4. Can the value of force for equilibrium be negative?

Yes, the value of force for equilibrium can be negative. This indicates that the forces acting on the object are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force of zero. A negative value does not necessarily mean that the object is moving in the opposite direction, as it could also indicate that the object is at rest.

5. What happens if the value of force for equilibrium is not zero?

If the value of force for equilibrium is not zero, then the object will experience a resulting force and will either accelerate in the direction of the net force or remain at a constant velocity if the net force is balanced. This means that the object is not in equilibrium and there is an unbalanced force acting on it.