How to determine an asteroid survey efficiency?

In summary, an expert summarizer of content found that there is no accurate way to determine the asteroid survey efficiency without using a telescope, CCD, typical calibration files to reduce noise, known celestial coordinates, time, etc. and a survey software like Astrometrica.
pioneerboy
I read in a couple of papers about asteroid hunting that they used artificially implemented asteroids in real images to see if their detection algorithms could find them. This way, the scientists determined their asteroid survey efficiency in real data.
As I don't have the resources to work so extensively with images, implement artificial stuff, and have a dedicated survey algorithm, I would like to know if there's another accurate way to determine the asteroid survey efficiency? You may well ask, WHAT FROM would I like to determine its efficiency if not from a survey algorithm. Well, that's the second question: using a telescope, CCD, typical calibration files to reduce noise, known celestial coordinates, time, etc. , a survey software like "Astrometrica", and a square-degree worth of images, how can I characterise the survey efficiency? After all, Astrometrica only shows already known objects, and has the ability to blink-compare images and mark presumably new objects. But it doesn't search for objects by itself so that a search efficiency could be characterised. What would be ways to characterise the search efficiency in a personal asteroid survey?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you make your software forget about objects? That way you can see if the software would have marked them as possible new object, and mimic the proper way to determine efficiency.

What it does is to look up the orbital elements/epoch ephemerides of all objects that were in/around the image you took; so you basically know where to look for known ones without blink-comparing. What you have to do now is to investigate each object and select the appropriate object candidate from a whole list which is sorted according to RA/Dec distance from the marked object in the image; so, you'd want to go with the closest candidate (usually 0.1 to 0.2 away in both, RA/Dec). This is written into a .txt-file that is later sent to the MinorPlanetCenter for orbit improvement.
I'm not aware of any offline-detection-algorithm that is inside the software. So comparing offline vs. online ephemerides doesn't work I guess.
When hunting for new objects, all you really could do is visual blink-comparing. So in the end you'd never know how many new ones you detected from a total of present new objects in the image.

1. What is an asteroid survey efficiency?

An asteroid survey efficiency is a measure of how effective a survey is at detecting and tracking asteroids in a given area of the sky. It takes into account factors such as the sensitivity of the instruments used, the amount of time spent observing, and the accuracy of the data collected.

2. How is asteroid survey efficiency calculated?

Asteroid survey efficiency is typically calculated by dividing the number of asteroids detected by the total number of asteroids that could have been detected in the same area and time period. This gives a percentage that represents the effectiveness of the survey.

3. What factors affect asteroid survey efficiency?

Some factors that can affect asteroid survey efficiency include the sensitivity and resolution of the instruments used, the amount of time spent observing, atmospheric conditions, and the presence of other objects in the field of view that could interfere with detection.

4. Why is asteroid survey efficiency important?

Asteroid survey efficiency is important because it helps us understand the accuracy and limitations of our asteroid detection methods. It can also inform future survey strategies and help us prioritize which areas of the sky to focus on for the best chance of detecting potentially hazardous asteroids.

5. How can we improve asteroid survey efficiency?

There are several ways to improve asteroid survey efficiency, such as using more sensitive and advanced instruments, increasing the amount of time spent observing, and developing better data analysis techniques. Collaborations between different survey teams and sharing of data can also lead to improved efficiency.