How to determine if a set is an open subset of a Euclidean space?

In summary, a set is considered open if any point within the set can be moved a small distance in any direction and still remain within the set. In this example, the set of points (x,y) such that x^2 + y^2 < 1 is the inside of a circle with a radius of one. Even if a point is near the boundary of the circle, it can still be moved closer towards the edge without hitting the boundary, which is why the inequality x^2 + y^2 < 1 is used. This concept can be applied to any set in a Euclidean space to determine if it is open.
kelp
I opted to not use the template because this is a pretty general question. I am not understanding how to find out if a set is an open subset of a Euclidean space.
For example,
{(x,y) belongs R2 | x squared + y squared < 1}
The textbook is talking about open balls, greatly confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Intuitively speaking, a set is open if you can take any point in the set, move a little distance in any direction and still be in the set. In this situation, the set of points (x,y) such that x^2 + y^2 < 1 is really the "inside" of a circle of radius one (specifically we are dealing with the unit circle). If your point is near the center of the circle, it is obvious that you can move some distance away and still remain inside the circle. But the idea is that if we have a point near the "edge" or the boundary of the circle, we can still move closer and closer towards the edge without hitting the boundary, and this is why we have the inequality x^2 + y^2 < 1 (when < is replaced with =, we are on the unit circle). Does this make sense?

Hmm so I guess I gave away the answer but not really. Do you need to prove the set is open?

1. How do I determine if a set is an open subset of a Euclidean space?

To determine if a set is an open subset of a Euclidean space, you can use the definition of an open set, which states that a set is open if every point in the set has a neighborhood contained entirely within the set. In other words, for every point in the set, there exists a small enough radius where all points within that radius are also in the set.

2. What is the difference between an open set and a closed set?

An open set is a set that contains all of its limit points, while a closed set is a set that contains all of its boundary points. In other words, an open set has no points on its boundary, while a closed set may have points on its boundary.

3. Can a set be both open and closed?

Yes, a set can be both open and closed. This type of set is called a clopen set. An example of a clopen set in a Euclidean space would be the empty set or the entire space itself.

4. How does the concept of openness apply to higher dimensions?

The concept of openness applies to higher dimensions in the same way as it does in two or three dimensions. A set is open if every point in the set has a neighborhood contained entirely within the set. However, visualizing this in higher dimensions can be more difficult.

5. Can a set be open in one Euclidean space but closed in another?

Yes, a set can be open in one Euclidean space but closed in another. This is because the definition of an open set depends on the specific space it is being considered in. A set that is open in one Euclidean space may not be open in another, and vice versa.