How to Determine the Oxidation Number of Fe in FeCO3?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter luanadoesnotlike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exercise Iron
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 5K views
luanadoesnotlike
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
FeCO3
Relevant Equations
I achieved calculating the oxidation number of C and my result is x=5
Hi there,
I did an exercise and when we corrected it I realised that the oxidation number of Fe was (ll) but I don't know how can I find it.
The common name is iron (ll) nitrate and the other name, that I don't know how is called because i study this in basque, is iron (2+) nitrate trioxide (2-)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not 5.

Plus, you listed FeCO3, but then you referred to the nitrate, so it is quite difficult to help, as in reality we don't know what the problem really is.