How to determine the power of a rotary lobe pump?

In summary: What is the motor RPM?What is the reducer gear ratio?In summary, the engineer is looking for a pump that can deliver a flow rate at a certain pressure. They then select a pump that is able to deliver that flow rate. They also select a motor that is able to deliver that power.
Minghan
TL;DR Summary
Is there any method to measure the power of the pump?
Want to know how to get the actual power the pump needs.
I can measure the flow rate by the flow meter and count the revolutions of the pump.
But selecting the proper motor for the pump would be a problem.
So I want to know how to determine the power of the rotary lobe pump and generate the graph like below.
P.JPG

0001 (1).jpg

lobe-pump-with-motor-500x500.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you considered looking at the energy you used on the electric meter that supplies your electricity?

Likes Minghan, Asymptotic and anorlunda
Dr_Nate said:
Have you considered looking at the energy you used on the electric meter that supplies your electricity?
My guess is that there is a pump but no motor. And perhaps the lower figure isn't available for that particular pump either ...

From the lower figure one could deduce a typical efficiency for that type of pump by looking at ##\Delta pV##

Which comes out pretty low -- but I'm used to centrifugal pumps. E.g: 1200/min at 6 Barg outlet pressure would be 2700 x 10-3m3/min / 60 s/min * 6 x 105N/m2 = 270 Nm/s while the lower plot shows 800 W, so around 1/3. The motor/gearbox efficiency will be over 90% , so a 1 kW motor should be adequate for that throughput. Careful calculations are in order, since the world is full of overdimensioned pump motors that waste a lot of energy money.​

Likes Minghan and scottdave
Minghan said:
Want to know how to get the actual power the pump needs.
I can measure the flow rate by the flow meter and count the revolutions of the pump.
But selecting the proper motor for the pump would be a problem.
So I want to know how to determine the power of the rotary lobe pump and generate the graph like below.

Pump and motor selection starts from the system requirements, which are specified first. This can be challenging at times, but you can usually figure out the maximum flow rate by a system mass balance, and the pressure by calculating the line loss.

Step 1: Determine the required maximum flow rate and maximum pressure.
Step 2: Select a pump that delivers that flow rate at that pressure.
Step 3: Read the pump RPM from the pump curve.
Step 4: Select the motor RPM and reducer gear ratio.
Step 5: Read the motor power from the pump curve.
Step 6: Add a safety factor to the motor size. If the motor size from the pump curve is 0.5 kW, then select a 0.75 KW motor.

If you have absolutely no clue about pressure and flow, and a large budget, there is another option. Oversize the pump and motor, then add a variable frequency drive. This is a good option if management is saying "we don't care what it costs, just make it work".

Likes Minghan and anorlunda
jrmichler said:
This is a good option if management is saying "we don't care what it costs, just make it work".
That will be the day! I'm sure I never heard that particular statement from management.

It's fairly common in a paper mill, especially in a case where the first pump installed by the engineer did not do the job. And yes, I have been there and done that.

Likes Dullard
I don't know what you're pumping, but:

a couple of considerations:

The viscosity of the fluid is important. Note that viscosity varies with temperature.
All lobe pumps have some fluid slip. Fluid slip causes extra wear. Extra wear causes more slip. You're probably going to see an increase in your power requirement over time (assuming that you maintain a fixed PV requirement).

'Over Sizing' the pump/motor is not a bad idea.

Likes Minghan
Dr.D said:
That will be the day! I'm sure I never heard that particular statement from management.
They probably phrase it as "Just shut up and do it." 😉

But yes, suppose you have million dollar project. You don't want to waste 2 man months calculating whether you need a $2000 motor or a $1000 motor. That's the same as money is no object.

Likes Minghan, jrmichler and Dullard
The application will decide the motor speed and power required.
What fluid will be pumped?
What is the maximum required flow rate and pressure?

What is the displacement per revolution?
What information is written on the pump, make, model, capacity?
What is the diameter of the pump input shaft? That indicates maximum torque.

Likes Asymptotic and Minghan

1. What is a rotary lobe pump?

A rotary lobe pump is a type of positive displacement pump that uses rotating lobes to move fluid through the pump. It is commonly used in industries that require high flow rates and gentle handling of fluids.

2. How is the power of a rotary lobe pump determined?

The power of a rotary lobe pump is determined by calculating the product of the pump's flow rate and differential pressure, and then dividing by the pump's overall efficiency. This can be expressed as the formula: Power = (Flow Rate x Differential Pressure) / Efficiency.

3. What factors affect the power of a rotary lobe pump?

The power of a rotary lobe pump can be affected by several factors, including the pump's size, speed, and design. The type of fluid being pumped, the viscosity of the fluid, and the temperature can also impact the power requirements of the pump.

4. How can the efficiency of a rotary lobe pump be determined?

The efficiency of a rotary lobe pump can be determined by comparing the actual power output of the pump to the theoretical power output. This can be done by measuring the flow rate and differential pressure of the pump and using these values in the power formula.

5. Are there any other methods for determining the power of a rotary lobe pump?

Yes, there are other methods for determining the power of a rotary lobe pump, such as using pump performance curves or conducting pump tests. However, the most common and accurate method is to use the power formula mentioned in question 2.