How to determine the volume of water to add to a dried primer

In summary, to create a 100uM stock solution from 26.6nMoles of dried primer, you would need to add approximately 266ul of highly purified water. This can be determined using the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, C2 is the desired concentration, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes, respectively.
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

A volume of highly purified water is added to dried primer to create 100uM stock solution. How many ul of water needs to be added to 26.6nMoles of dried primer in order to create uM stock solution? Hint: You may need to convert primer value from nMoles to uMoles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that 26.6nMoles is 0.0266uMoles. But I am unsure of what to do next. Must I use C1V1=C2V2? Or does 10 x 26.6 = 266ul work?

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:
Or does 10 x 26.6 = 266ul work?
Work for what?
ver_mathstats said:
I know that 26.6nMoles is 0.0266uMoles
OK, so if you dissolved it in 1L the concentration would be 0.0266 µM. You want 100 µM. This is where you apply C1V1 = C2V2.

mjc123 said:
Work for what?

OK, so if you dissolved it in 1L the concentration would be 0.0266 µM. You want 100 µM. This is where you apply C1V1 = C2V2.
Oh okay, I think the formula is c=n/v. Thank you.

1. How do I calculate the volume of water needed for a dried primer?

The volume of water needed for a dried primer can be calculated by using the following formula: Volume of water = (Weight of dried primer x Desired concentration) / Density of primer. The weight of the dried primer can be measured using a scale, the desired concentration is typically listed on the primer's label, and the density can be found in the primer's safety data sheet (SDS).

2. Can I use any type of water to mix with a dried primer?

It is recommended to use distilled or deionized water when mixing with a dried primer. This is because tap water may contain impurities or minerals that can affect the performance of the primer. Using distilled or deionized water ensures that the primer will have consistent and accurate results.

3. How much water should I add to a dried primer?

The amount of water to add to a dried primer depends on the desired concentration. This information is typically listed on the primer's label. It is important to follow the recommended concentration to ensure the primer's effectiveness. Adding too much or too little water can affect the primer's performance.

4. How long should I wait after adding water to a dried primer?

After adding water to a dried primer, it is recommended to wait at least 5-10 minutes before using it. This allows the water to fully mix with the primer and ensures that the primer is at the desired concentration. Waiting too long or not long enough can affect the primer's performance.

5. Can I store the leftover primer after adding water?

It is not recommended to store leftover primer after adding water. Once water is added, the primer's shelf life is significantly reduced. It is best to only mix the amount of primer needed for immediate use. If there is leftover primer, it is safest to discard it and mix a fresh batch when needed.