How to Determine Young's Modulus and Poisson's Ratio from Elastic Stiffnesses?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RAD17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ratio
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
RAD17
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I need to determine Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio from the elastic stiffnesses for a cubic crystal that is being stressed along the x axis.
It is initially L *w and goes to (L+delta L)*(w - delta w). Where w is along the x-axis and L is along the y axis. How do I change stresses and strains along with lengths into elastic stiffnesses?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
RAD17 said:
I need to determine Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio from the elastic stiffnesses for a cubic crystal that is being stressed along the x axis.
It is initially L *w and goes to (L+delta L)*(w - delta w). Where w is along the x-axis and L is along the y axis. How do I change stresses and strains along with lengths into elastic stiffnesses?

What exactly do you mean by ' L*w '? Do you know the stresses?
 
Looking into some elasticity book you'll find:

-The change in volume of the cube is relationed to the poisson coefficient, such that for poisson coefficients 1/2 the body is incompressible.

-The stresses, deformations, elastic modulii and poisson coefficient are relationed through the Hooke's law.