Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio

1. Oct 31, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I was looking some exercices on internet about the poisson's ratio. I have just one question.

How can i calculate the young's modulus and poisson's ratio when i know that a material is purely elastical.

I calculate circonferential et longitudinal contraints and i have write the cauchy stress tensor in his principal base.

Moreover, strain gauge (45°) are put on the material which is a cylinder. And i have calculate the strain tensor in an other base and in the principal base but i don't know how to calculte this two parameters.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2015 #2
    These are material parameters. If you know the material, you look them up.
    If not. you can set up an experiment to measure them. Which situation do you have in mind?

4. Nov 1, 2015 #3
    yes i know that i can have it in table already write. But in the exercise. They are these question : " calculate the young's modulus and poisson's ratio: we know that the material is purely elastical".

I think i have to use the answers of the previous questions which were : " calculate the circonferential and longitudinal contraints" and " write the cauchy stress tensor in his principal base" Moreover, we knew that a strain gauge (45°) was put on the cylinder which is stutied. And an other question was " calculate and write the strain tensor in the base a base (0,r,l,c) and in his principale base".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook