How to detremine the lifetime of a LED

In summary, LEDs can last for 100,000 hours, but it's difficult to determine when they will malfunction. Life time testing is done at higher temperatures to simulate the rapid passage of time.
shen3
Theoratically a LED can last for 100,000 hours, but how can i prove that this is true? I've found out that the malfunction of a LED is caused by the degradation of the active region in it, but how can i determine when it is going to malfunction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Life time testing is ussually done at higher temperatures.
You measure the life of a sample of parts at a number of higher than normal temperatures, you determine the function relating the lifetime to temperature and use it to calculate what the lifetime would be at room temperaure.

Just turn it on and wait for it to fail.

CraigD, AMInstP
www.cymek.com

P.S. you may want to bring a six pack.

CraigD said:
Just turn it on and wait for it to fail.
That's the problem with the perpetual motion machine invented by my great-great-great grandfather, we are still waiting for it to stop!

mgb_phys said:
That's the problem with the perpetual motion machine invented by my great-great-great grandfather, we are still waiting for it to stop!

:rofl::rofl:

This article may give you some hints:
http://www.netl.doe.gov/ssl/PDFs/lifetimeWhiteLEDs_aug16_r1.pdf

mgb_phys said:
Life time testing is ussually done at higher temperatures.
You measure the life of a sample of parts at a number of higher than normal temperatures, you determine the function relating the lifetime to temperature and use it to calculate what the lifetime would be at room temperaure.

Then how do i calculate what the lifetime would be at room temperaure?

It depends on the function relating increased temperature and lifetime.
Eg. if you heat it to 100C and it last 50K hours, at 200C it lasts 20K you can plot a graph and see how long it would last at 20C.
Since you don't know that the relationship is linear, it is probably exponential, you would have to try a number of temperatures and see what shape the curve is.
You also have to do this for a number of devices to get an average behaviour and since you are running the device until it dies you only get one data point/device.

mgb_phys said:
It depends on the function relating increased temperature and lifetime.
Eg. if you heat it to 100C and it last 50K hours, at 200C it lasts 20K you can plot a graph and see how long it would last at 20C.
Since you don't know that the relationship is linear, it is probably exponential, you would have to try a number of temperatures and see what shape the curve is.
You also have to do this for a number of devices to get an average behaviour and since you are running the device until it dies you only get one data point/device.

..or, you can check for a producer site, example: osram, lumileds. They surely have all this info.

I have a question, what is the physically reason for the intensity degradation of a LED?

Dario78 said:
..or, you can check for a producer site, example: osram, lumileds. They surely have all this info.
The OP wanted to know if the specs were true

I have a question, what is the physically reason for the intensity degradation of a LED?
In theory - dopeants migrating out of the active region of the diode.
In practice - corrosion of the bond wires because of contaminants when it was made, chemical changes in the encapsualting plastic from the atmopshere, mechancially breaking the leads where the enter the plastic

shen3 said:
Theoratically a LED can last for 100,000 hours, but how can i prove that this is true? I've found out that the malfunction of a LED is caused by the degradation of the active region in it, but how can i determine when it is going to malfunction?

Lifetime testing is an interesting excersise. Typically, tests are performed at high temperatures to accelerate the process- to simulate the rapid passage of time. Also, products typically fail with a distribution known as the "bathtub curve" or Weibull chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

I forget what "lifetime of 100,000 hours" means in terms of MTBF or the Weibull chart, but it's a statistical measure, in the end. Your device may last longer or shorter.

1. What is the average lifespan of a LED?

The average lifespan of a LED is between 25,000 to 50,000 hours. This can vary depending on the quality of the LED, usage, and other factors such as temperature and voltage.

2. How do you determine the lifespan of a LED?

The lifespan of a LED can be determined by conducting a series of tests in a controlled environment. This involves continuously running the LED at a specific voltage and temperature while monitoring its performance and degradation over time.

3. Can the lifespan of a LED be extended?

Yes, the lifespan of a LED can be extended by using proper heat sinks to dissipate heat, using quality LED drivers, and operating the LED at lower voltages. Additionally, avoiding extreme temperatures and using LEDs with higher quality materials can also help prolong their lifespan.

4. How does the lifespan of a LED compare to traditional light bulbs?

The lifespan of a LED is significantly longer than traditional light bulbs. While traditional incandescent bulbs have an average lifespan of 1,000 hours and compact fluorescent bulbs have an average lifespan of 8,000 hours, LEDs can last up to 50,000 hours or more.

5. What happens when a LED reaches the end of its lifespan?

When a LED reaches the end of its lifespan, it will gradually become dimmer and eventually stop working. Unlike traditional light bulbs, LEDs do not suddenly burn out, but rather gradually lose their brightness over time. This makes it easier to replace them before they completely stop working.