LED light and guitar string (strobe light effect)

In summary, the conversation discusses tuning a guitar using an LED light and the frequency of the strings. The LED light flickers at 120 Hz, causing the string to appear to oscillate in opposing positions instead of a stationary one. The conversation also mentions the possibility of tuning the guitar using the LED light.
nmsurobert
I've trying to explain this to myself but I know I'm missing something.
I tuned the low E string to B. The frequency of that note is about 62 Hz. When I play that note under the led lights in my backyard I can see the string oscillate back and forth.
After doing some reading, the LED light flickers about twice that of what the house is putting out. So the led light is flickering at 120 Hz. Is that why I see the string in two opposing positions and not in a stationary position? If the string oscillated at 120 Hz would it appear stationary?
Here is a video of what I'm talking about...
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgZi6Wn97aMQg235QWqKNXhVGwwy

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. You might be able to tune your guitar using the LED, at least one string.

kuruman said:
You are correct. You might be able to tune your guitar using the LED, at least one string.
Awesome! Thank you.

Likes berkeman

1. How does a strobe light effect work with LED lights and guitar strings?

The strobe light effect with LED lights and guitar strings works by rapidly flashing the LED lights at a specific frequency that matches the vibration of the guitar strings. This creates the illusion of the guitar strings appearing to be still or moving slowly, depending on the frequency of the LED lights. This effect is achieved by synchronizing the LED lights with the guitar strings using a strobe light controller.

2. What is the purpose of using a strobe light effect with LED lights and guitar strings?

The purpose of using a strobe light effect with LED lights and guitar strings is to enhance the visual experience of a live performance or music video. It adds a dynamic and mesmerizing element to the overall performance, making it more engaging and entertaining for the audience.

3. Can any LED light be used for the strobe light effect with guitar strings?

No, not all LED lights can be used for the strobe light effect with guitar strings. The LED lights used for this effect need to have a high frequency response and the ability to be controlled by a strobe light controller. LED lights specifically designed for this purpose are recommended for the best results.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using LED lights and guitar strings for the strobe light effect?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using LED lights and guitar strings for the strobe light effect. It is important to use LED lights that are specifically designed for this purpose and to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Additionally, proper precautions should be taken to ensure that the guitar strings are not damaged or broken during the performance.

5. Can the strobe light effect with LED lights and guitar strings be used for any genre of music?

Yes, the strobe light effect with LED lights and guitar strings can be used for any genre of music. It can add a unique and visually appealing element to any type of performance, whether it is rock, pop, electronic, or any other genre. The key is to properly synchronize the LED lights with the music to create a seamless and captivating effect.