How to differentiate with respect to a derivative

In summary, you differentiated y with respect to y' by taking the derivative of ##y## with respect to y' and then solved for ##y##.
Jozefina Gramatikova
upload_2019-1-26_10-42-36.png

Hi guys, I am reading my lecture notes for Mechanics and Variations and I am trying to understand the maths here. From what I can see there we differentiated with respect to a derivative. Could you tell me how do we do that? Thanks

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-26_10-42-36.png
    upload_2019-1-26_10-42-36.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 886
Physics news on Phys.org
Treat it like a regular variable. You can introduce z=y' if that helps.

Likes jedishrfu
how do we differentiate y with respect to y' then?

Likes jedishrfu
Jozefina Gramatikova said:
Substitute ##y'=z##, differentiate along ##\partial z##, and re-substitute ##z=y'##.

Likes jedishrfu
You just have two variables, which I am going to call ##a## and ##b## (instead of ##y## and ##y'##). Thus, you have
$$\tau(a,b) = \frac{\sqrt{1+b^2}}{\sqrt{-2 g a}}$$ Now the derivatives ##\partial \tau(a,b)/ \partial a## and ##\partial \tau(a,b) / \partial b## are just perfectly ordinary partial derivatives.

Likes Jozefina Gramatikova

There is no generic formula if that's what you wonder about

I mean for example if ##y(x)=x^2## then ##y'(x)=2x## and hence ##y(y')=(y')^2/4## hence ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial y'}=\frac{2}{4}y'##
On the other hand if ##y(x)=\sin x## then ##y'(x)=\cos x## and hence ##y(y')=\sqrt{1-y'^2}## hence ##\frac{\partial y}{\partial y'}=\frac{-2y'}{2\sqrt{1-y'^2}}##

Last edited:
Likes Jozefina Gramatikova
The fundamental idea behind the calculus of variations is to study the integrand as an abstract function of the variables involved. In this case ##y## and ##y'##, leaving to one side that as physical variables they are related.

As others have said, therefore, you treat ##y## and ##y'## as independent variables in order to generate the E-L equations.

Likes Jozefina Gramatikova and Delta2
Ok, thank you very much, guys. I got it :)

Likes Delta2

What is differentiation with respect to a derivative?

Differentiation with respect to a derivative is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its own derivative. In other words, it is a way to find how the rate of change of a function changes as its derivative changes.

Why is differentiation with respect to a derivative important?

Differentiation with respect to a derivative is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function in relation to its own rate of change. This can help us understand the properties of a function and make predictions about its behavior.

How do you differentiate with respect to a derivative?

To differentiate with respect to a derivative, we use the chain rule. This means that we take the derivative of the function with respect to its derivative, and then multiply it by the derivative of the derivative with respect to the original variable. This process can be repeated multiple times for higher order derivatives.

What is the difference between differentiation and differentiation with respect to a derivative?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. Differentiation with respect to a derivative, on the other hand, is the process of finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its own derivative. This means that we are looking at how the rate of change of the function changes as its derivative changes.

What are some real-world applications of differentiation with respect to a derivative?

Some real-world applications of differentiation with respect to a derivative include analyzing the behavior of stock prices in relation to their rates of change, predicting the growth rate of a population based on its current growth rate, and determining the optimal speed for a car to travel on a curved road based on its acceleration and the curvature of the road.