How to draw figures and diagrams?

In summary, GeoGebra is a powerful mathematics and geometry-based software that can be used for physics-related drawings. It is open source and can be used on many different platforms.
Alexanddros81
Hi!
I have been doing some reading over the past 5 months on spacecraft dynamics and physics mechanics -dynamics . I want to create figures and diagrams such as those found in Orbital Mechanics by Curtis, Vector Mechanics for Engineers by Beer and University P|hysics by Young. Which software do I use?
Most probably I will be inserting figures and diagrams in OpenOffice or Microsoft Word
thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You use whatever drawing software you are most comfortable with. Vector drawing software for preference.
The software you will be using to write with is not relevant... though you should save finished work in a widely implimented iso format (ie not MSWord).
Note: professionals like those cited do not do their own illustrations. Publishers hire professional technical illustrators.

I suggest using an open-source drawing program rather than MS Word, provided you will be doing the work at a place where you have that software available to you. That will maximise the number of different formats in which you can save the drawing. I sometimes use LibreOffice Draw, which I understand is almost identical to OpenOffice Draw, having forked from it a few years ago. they are vector-drawing programs. LibreOffice can save in many widely-used formats like svg, png and gif.

:heart: GeoGebra is awesome, it's mathematics and geometry based! You can easily switch dimensions to run diagrams as simulations! Works decently with touch and you can download the phone app as well. I imagine it would work great for physics-related drawings too! It takes a while to learn, I'm still tinkering with it!

Likes FactChecker
Simon - what is an example of "a widely implimented iso format (ie not MSWord)" I have notepad and Word.

Fervent Freyja said:
:heart: GeoGebra is awesome, it's mathematics and geometry based! You can easily switch dimensions to run diagrams as simulations! Works decently with touch and you can download the phone app as well. I imagine it would work great for physics-related drawings too! It takes a while to learn, I'm still tinkering with it!
This morning I downloaded GeoGebra, watched some youtube tutorials , and played with it some. I am impressed.

FactChecker said:
This morning I downloaded GeoGebra, watched some youtube tutorials , and played with it some. I am impressed.

I know, there are many things that you can do with it! It's often used between students and teachers, but it's great to play with and when you are self-studying as well!

There are quite a few physics-related worksheets and simulations showing up in search results (you can download and edit work shared by others too, just go to 'open file from geogebra' in the app):
https://www.geogebra.org/search/perform/search/physics/type/ggb

Likes FactChecker
Geogebra appears to be open source though it has special restrictons for commmercial use.
https://archive.geogebra.org/static/publications/2006-FOCUS_suzuki.pdf

Examples of "widely implemented" ISO formats would be ISO/IEC DIS 26300: Open Document Format; and, ISO 32000-1:2008 : Portable Document Format. There are good free software implementations for these.

There are openXML to ODF converters for MS Word, and there are Acrobat plugins too ... or just use Libre Office or OpenOffice.org, which write to any well-documented format you like by default.

Note: Academic publishing usually accepts LaTeX as a defacto standard typesetting markup thingy.

I recommend Inkscape. It takes some time to learn all its features (among other things because there are many), but it's very powerful. And it's free, open source and multi-platform!

1. How do I draw accurate proportions for figures and diagrams?

To draw accurate proportions for figures and diagrams, it is important to first take measurements of the subject or use reference points such as the head or the height of the figure. You can also use a grid method where you draw a grid over your reference image and then transfer it onto your drawing surface. Practice and frequent use of reference images can also help improve your proportion skills.

2. What are some tips for shading and adding depth to figures and diagrams?

To add shading and depth to figures and diagrams, it is important to understand the direction of light source and how it affects the subject. Use a range of values and shades to create contrast and add dimension to your drawing. Practice using different shading techniques such as hatching, cross-hatching, and blending to create different textures and effects.

3. How can I make my figures and diagrams look more realistic?

To make your figures and diagrams look more realistic, pay attention to details such as anatomy, proportions, and lighting. Use reference images and study real-life objects to understand their forms and structures. Practice observing and drawing from life to improve your skills. Additionally, using a variety of line weights and textures can also add to the realism of your drawings.

4. What tools and materials should I use for drawing figures and diagrams?

The tools and materials you use for drawing figures and diagrams will depend on your personal preference and style. Some commonly used tools include pencils, charcoal, markers, and pens. It is also helpful to have a variety of pencils with different lead hardness to create different values. Experiment with different materials and find what works best for you.

5. How can I improve my overall drawing skills and technique for figures and diagrams?

Improving your overall drawing skills and technique for figures and diagrams takes practice and patience. Practice drawing from life and using reference images to improve your observation skills. Experiment with different techniques and materials to find your preferred style. It is also helpful to take classes or workshops to learn from other artists and receive feedback on your work.