How to evaluate the following multivariable limit?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a function using the Sandwich Theorem and L'Hopital's rule. The participants consider different approaches, including substituting values for x and y and using L'Hopital's rule, to determine the limit at the point (0,0). They ultimately conclude that the limit does not exist at the origin due to different limits along the x and y axes.
rafehi

Homework Statement

lim (x,y)->(0,0) (cos(x) - 1 + (x^2/2)) / ( x^4 + y^4)

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I correct in assuming that I have to solve by looking for a path where the limit doesn't exist/is different to another path (given that the epsilon thing is beyond the scope of the course)?

I've tried finding it along the path y=0, x=0 and y=kx, and every time I've found it approaches infinity. Not sure if I've done anything wrong or not, but looking at a graph of the function, it looks like approaches along the y=0 and x=0 lines should give me different limits (according to the answer, the limit does not exist at 0,0).

Any help?

Homework Statement

OK, I'm fairly sure I've gotten the above question right, but am stuck on another.

Find the limit of the following function using the Sandwich Theorem:
f(x,y) = (7x^2y^2)/(x^2 + 2y^4) as (x,y)->(0,0)

How would we go about it? Seeing as all terms are non-negative, zero will always be =<, but how about finding an function that's >= and also simpler to solve?

You couldn't multiple/divide it by a function of x and/or y, because it'd make it larger or smaller depending on if x and/or y were smaller or greater than zero, correct? And adding a function of x and/or y wouldn't make it any easier to solve...

Would it be possible to just add a negative scalar (e.g. -1) to the denominator, then substitute (x,y)=(0,0) to evaluate the limit? That way, you'd have a non-zero denominator and as both numerator and denominator are continuous, it'd be very simple to solve.

0 =< f(x,y) =< (7x^2y^2)/(x^2 + 2y^4 - 1)
lim 0 =< lim f(x,y) =< lim (7x^2y^2)/(x^2 + 2y^4 - 1)
Therefore, lim f(x,y) = 0.

Seems too simple, though. Am I missing something or is it a legitimate approach?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm...thinking further on the question, would the substitution y=kx have a limit of zero, not infinity?

Making the substitution, I get:
(cos(kx) - 1 + (x^2/2)) / ( x^4 + (kx)^4)

Are we allowed to use L'Hopital's? If so:
(k^4*cos(kx))/(24 + 24k^4). Sub x=0 gives:
k^4/(24(1+k^4), which is a varying limit depending on what value of k you use.

Does the above make sense?

OK, I'm fairly sure I've gotten the above question right, but am stuck on another.

Find the limit of the following function using the Sandwich Theorem:
f(x,y) = (7x^2y^2)/(x^2 + 2y^4) as (x,y)->(0,0)

How would we go about it? Seeing as all terms are non-negative, zero will always be =<, but how about finding an function that's >= and also simpler to solve?

You couldn't multiple/divide it by a function of x and/or y, because it'd make it larger or smaller depending on if x and/or y were smaller or greater than zero, correct? And adding a function of x and/or y wouldn't make it any easier to solve...

Would it be possible to just add a negative scalar (e.g. -1) to the denominator, then substitute (x,y)=(0,0) to evaluate the limit? That way, you'd have a non-zero denominator and as both numerator and denominator are continuous, it'd be very simple to solve.

0 =< f(x,y) =< (7x^2y^2)/(x^2 + 2y^4 - 1)
lim 0 =< lim f(x,y) =< lim (7x^2y^2)/(x^2 + 2y^4 - 1)
Therefore, lim f(x,y) = 0.

Seems too simple, though. Am I missing something or is it a legitimate approach?

what happens if x=0. i.e. if we approach the point (0,0) along the y-axis? then the lim is 0, right? why?

what happens if we approach it along x axis, i.e. when y=0.

[tex] f(x,0)=\frac{cosx-1-\frac{1}{2}x^2}{x^4}[/tex]

now what is this limit as x-->0 ?

You're right - it is zero. I accidentally had cos(0) as 0 instead of 1. :redface:

For f(x,0), can't we use L'Hopital's to simplify it to cos(x)/24 = 1/24? Therefore the limits along y=0 and x=0 are different, so the limit doesn't exist at the origin?

rafehi said:
You're right - it is zero. I accidentally had cos(0) as 0 instead of 1. :redface:

For f(x,0), can't we use L'Hopital's to simplify it to cos(x)/24 = 1/24? Therefore the limits along y=0 and x=0 are different, so the limit doesn't exist at the origin?

that's right!

Thanks for your help, sm.

1. What is a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input variables approach a specific point in a multi-dimensional space.

2. How is a multivariable limit evaluated?

A multivariable limit can be evaluated using a variety of methods, such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and graphing. It ultimately depends on the complexity of the function and the specific point in the multi-dimensional space.

3. What are the key factors to consider when evaluating a multivariable limit?

The key factors to consider when evaluating a multivariable limit are the properties of the function, the specific point in the multi-dimensional space, and the various techniques that can be used to evaluate the limit.

4. Can a multivariable limit have multiple values?

Yes, a multivariable limit can have multiple values. This can occur when approaching the limit from different directions in the multi-dimensional space results in different values.

5. How can multivariable limits be applied in real-world situations?

Multivariable limits have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as fluid flow, electrical circuits, and stock market trends.