Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to evaluate this definite integral?

1. Nov 22, 2015 #1
    Hello, I don't know how to approach this problem, provided in the image below:

upload_2015-11-22_21-57-25.png

I am assuming that in order to solve this problem, you have to transform the 2nd integral into the form of the first integral, but I am not sure if that's even the way to solve it, and even if it was, I don't know how to transform it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you studied u-substitution for indefinite integration yet?

4. Nov 22, 2015 #3
    We learned about it a few days ago... I don't know what to substitute to solve the problem :-(

5. Nov 22, 2015 #4
    Ohh ok I see I see

so you let u = sqrt(x), then x = u^2, so that du = 2u du

Then you plug them into the 2nd integral, and then you get integral of f(u) / u * 2u du, which then simplifies into 2 * integral of f(u) du, which is 3, as given by the first integral, so that the answer is 2*3 = 6.

Is this right? O_O

6. Nov 22, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

So dx = 2udu...
    Yes

In the future, please post questions like this one in the Homework & Coursework section, not here in the math technical sections.

7. Nov 22, 2015 #6
    Thanks for your help :-) And yes I will make sure to post similar questions to the appropriate sections. Apologies for the inconvenience

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook