Need help with an integral -- How to integrate velocity squared?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an implicit function integral and the difficulties in solving it without knowing the initial function. The chain rule is mentioned as a potential solution, but it only works for systems with a first order ODE. It is suggested to approach the problem by considering the energy dissipation term.
Tomder
TL;DR Summary
Problem with a implicit function integral.
The integral is this one:

##\int (\dot x)^2 \, dt,##

With ##x=x(t). ##

I don't know how to solve that integral and I haven't find nothing to read about on how to proceed with this kind of (implicit function?) integrals without having the initial function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tomder said:
TL;DR Summary: Problem with a implicit function integral.

The integral is this one:

##\int (\dot x)^2 \, dt,##

With ##x=x(t). ##

I don't know how to solve that integral and I haven't find nothing to read about on how to proceed with this kind of (implicit function?) integrals without having the initial function.

By the chain rule: [tex]\int \dot x^2\,dt = \int \dot x \frac{dx}{dt}\,dt = \int \dot x \,dx.[/tex] But this only helps you if you know [itex]\dot x[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex], ie. your system satisfies a first order ODE. But you originally asked this question in the context of a second-order nonlinear ODE [tex]
\ddot x = -f(x) - k\dot x.[/tex] In that case you do not have [itex]\dot x[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex]; you have [itex]\ddot x[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot x[/itex]. You can't evaluate[itex]\int \dot x^2 \,dt[/itex] unless you already know [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]\dot x(t)[/itex]. What you can say is that [tex]
\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac12 \dot x^2 + \int f(x)\,dx \right) = -k\dot x^2 \leq 0,[/tex] ie. the system dissipates energy.

Likes dlgoff, PeroK, Tomder and 1 other person
pasmith said:
By the chain rule: [tex]\int \dot x^2\,dt = \int \dot x \frac{dx}{dt}\,dt = \int \dot x \,dx.[/tex] But this only helps you if you know [itex]\dot x[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex], ie. your system satisfies a first order ODE. But you originally asked this question in the context of a second-order nonlinear ODE [tex]
\ddot x = -f(x) - k\dot x.[/tex] In that case you do not have [itex]\dot x[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex]; you have [itex]\ddot x[/itex] in terms of [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]\dot x[/itex]. You can't evaluate[itex]\int \dot x^2 \,dt[/itex] unless you already know [itex]x(t)[/itex] and [itex]\dot x(t)[/itex]. What you can say is that [tex]
\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac12 \dot x^2 + \int f(x)\,dx \right) = -k\dot x^2 \leq 0,[/tex] ie. the system dissipates energy.
Thanks, I thought about the same process but was unsure of its veracity, guess I‘ll try to work in my system with the idea of energy dissipation term. Thank you very much for your answer.

Likes PeroK

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. Why do we need to integrate velocity squared?

Integrating velocity squared allows us to find the total distance traveled by an object over a certain time period. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate displacement and work done.

3. How do you integrate velocity squared?

To integrate velocity squared, you can use the power rule for integration, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1). In this case, the integral of v^2 would be (v^3)/3 + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. What are the units of the integral of velocity squared?

The units of the integral of velocity squared would depend on the units of velocity and time used in the problem. Generally, it would have units of distance, such as meters or feet.

5. Can you provide an example of integrating velocity squared?

Sure, let's say we have an object with a velocity of 5 m/s over a time interval of 2 seconds. To find the distance traveled, we can integrate v^2 from 0 to 2 seconds. This would give us (5^3)/3 - (0^3)/3 = 41.67 meters. So, the object traveled a distance of 41.67 meters in 2 seconds with a constant velocity of 5 m/s.