Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Express Cos 3x as a Polynomial?

1. Aug 21, 2015 #1
    How to express ##\cos 3x## as a polynomial in ##\cos x##?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 21, 2015 #3
    How do I expand ##\cos 3x## into below form?

Alternate.png

I know that

##\cos 3x = \cos (x + 2x)##
    ##= \cos x \cos 2x - \sin x \sin 2x##

where

##\cos 2x = \cos^2 x - \sin^2 x##

and

##\sin 2x = 2 \sin x \cos x##

then

##= \cos x \cos 2x - \sin x \sin 2x##
    ##= \cos x (\cos^2 x - \sin^2 x) - \sin x (2 \sin x \cos x)##

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. Aug 21, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Simplify the line above and you get the answer from WolframAlpha. You can then convert the ##\sin^2 x## to get a polynomial in ##\cos x##.

6. Aug 21, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Two of the things you should know by heart are that [itex]cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b)[/itex] and that [itex]sin(a+ b)= sin(a)cos(b)+ cos(a)sinb)[/itex]

Taking a= b= x gives [itex]cos(2x)= cos^2(x)- sin^2(x)[/itex] and [itex]sin(2x)= 2sin(x)cos(x)[/itex].

Then [itex]cos(3x)= cos(2x+ x)= cos(2x)cos(x)- sin(2x)sin(x)[/itex] and apply the double angles identities to that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  7. Aug 21, 2015 #6

kith

Science Advisor

If you are familiar with complex numbers, you can also use Euler's formula. [itex]\text{cos}(3x)[/itex] is the real part of
    [itex]\text{e}^{i3x} = (\text{e}^{ix})^3 = (\text{cos}(x) + \text{i} \,\text{sin}(x))^3[/itex]. So if you multiply this out and take the real part, you get your answer without using further identities. This method is very powerful and general but you may not be familiar with complex numbers yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook