How to Express the Product of Two Legendre Polynomials?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Repetit
Messages
128
Reaction score
2
Hey!

Could someone please help me find out how to express the product of two Legendre polynomials in terms of a sum of Legendre polynomials. I believe I have to use the recursion formula

[tex](l+1)P_{l+1}(x)-(2l+1) x P_l(x) + l P_{l-1}(x)=0[/tex]

but I am not sure how to do this. What is basically want to do is

[tex]P_n(x) P_m(x) = \sum\limits_i c_i P_i(x)[/tex]

I hope my question is understandable.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Repetit said:
Hey!

Could someone please help me find out how to express the product of two Legendre polynomials in terms of a sum of Legendre polynomials. I believe I have to use the recursion formula

[tex](l+1)P_{l+1}(x)-(2l+1) x P_l(x) + l P_{l-1}(x)=0[/tex]

but I am not sure how to do this. What is basically want to do is

[tex]P_n(x) P_m(x) = \sum\limits_i c_i P_i(x)[/tex]

I hope my question is understandable.

Thanks!


For people searching an answer

"http://www.mscand.dk/article.php?id=1633" "
 
Last edited by a moderator: