Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that the legendre polynomials are orthogonal polynomials

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    I'm now studying the application of legendre polynomials to numerical integration in the so called gaussian quadrature. There one exploits the fact that an orthogonal polynomial of degree n is orthogonal to all other polynomials of degree less than n with respect to some weight function. For legendre polynomials that must mean that

[tex]\int_{-1}^{1} L_n(x) P_m(x) dx = 0[/tex]

for all P(x) where m is less than n. How does one prove that the legendre polynomials are in the set of such orthogonal polynomials? It's okay that they are orthogonal among themselves, but I wonder how to show that they are orthogonal to everyone else with lower degree?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is unclear. What is the set you are referring to?

Any polynomial of degree m can be represented as a linear combination of Legendre polynomials of degree at most m.

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

show that the legendre polynomials of degree ≤ n, are linearly independent, and thus form a basis for all polynomials of degree ≤ n.

therefore, every polynomial of degree ≤ n can be written as a linear combination of the Lj (j = 0,1,2,...,n):

[tex]P_m(x) = a_0L_0(x) + \dots + a_nL_n(x)[/tex]

which will make the only surviving term in the inner product the nth one:

[tex]\int_{-1}^1L_n(x)a_nL_n(x) dx[/tex]

but if Pm is of degree < n, the coefficent an of Ln will be 0.

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4
    Ah, thanks! That was the argument I was looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook