How to find a scientist who researches a specific field?

In summary, the author has a hypothesis that there may be a cause for allergies and a potential cure. Unfortunately, they don't have any way to test their hypothesis. They suggest looking for literature on the topic and contacting people who are studying the topic.
Steven Ellet
I have a Hypothesis on one potential cause for allergies and a potential cure based on that hypothesis. Unfortunately I have absolutely no way to test my hypothesis, Is there any way for me to get in contact with people studying that field?

Biology news on Phys.org
1) Literature search first! Maybe your new idea was published/tested 20 years ago.
2) When you've found the good, relevant papers similar to your idea, or in the field of interest, look at who wrote them.

It is really hard to come up with good new theories if you don't know the existing science first. That existing science typically comes from what the people you are looking for did a few years ago. When you do find them, you may need to convince them that you have "done your homework" for them to actually listen to your ideas.

Likes berkeman, russ_watters, Laroxe and 3 others
BTW, If you do cure allergies, you're pretty much guaranteed to win a Nobel prize.

DaveE said:
BTW, If you do cure allergies, you're pretty much guaranteed to win a Nobel prize.

Regardless of who proposed it, whomever implemented the experiments that proved the hypothesis would get it. Happens all the time. I know someone who couldn’t get funding to finish his work on GFP and 3 others were awarded instead, because they finished it and proved his hunch. There is no guarantee of anything.

Steven Ellet said:
I have a Hypothesis on one potential cause for allergies and a potential cure based on that hypothesis. Unfortunately I have absolutely no way to test my hypothesis, Is there any way for me to get in contact with people studying that field?

What is your hypothesis? We swear not to take your Nobel Prize ;)

docnet said:
What is your hypothesis? We swear not to take your Nobel Prize ;)
is that so... 🤨

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50 and Motore
go to scholar.google.com and enter your thoughts as succinctly as you can. Verify the results beyond reading the title. Inspect author name. Cross reference the journal title with the ISI Master List and the Predatory Journals list.

Likes Fervent Freyja and DaveE

1. How do I find a scientist who specializes in a specific field?

There are a few ways to find a scientist who researches a specific field. One option is to search for academic journals or publications related to the field and look for authors who have published in that area. Another option is to attend conferences or events related to the field and network with other scientists. You can also reach out to universities or research institutions and inquire about scientists who are currently conducting research in the field.

2. Can I use online databases or search engines to find a scientist?

Yes, there are many online databases and search engines specifically designed for finding scientists and their research. Some popular options include Google Scholar, ResearchGate, and PubMed. These databases allow you to search for scientists by name, institution, or research topic.

3. Are there any professional organizations or societies for scientists in specific fields?

Yes, there are many professional organizations and societies for scientists that focus on specific fields. These organizations often have directories or member databases that can help you find scientists in your desired field. Some examples include the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and the American Chemical Society (ACS).

4. How can I verify a scientist's expertise in a specific field?

One way to verify a scientist's expertise is to look at their credentials and affiliations. This can include their educational background, publications, and any awards or grants they have received related to the field. You can also reach out to other scientists or experts in the field for their opinions and recommendations.

5. Is it possible to collaborate with a scientist in a specific field?

Yes, many scientists are open to collaborations with other researchers or professionals in their field. You can reach out to them directly through email or through their institution's website. It is important to clearly communicate your research goals and how you believe the collaboration would benefit both parties.