1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find a vector that is perpendicular to every vector in a linear subspace?

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, i dont know if you can help me but i am currently studying for my finals and i have come across a question which i am very confused about. i have looked it up in books but there seems to be no answer there. the question is Write down a vector of length 1 that is perpendicular to every vector in the linear subspace of r3 described by x-y+z=0. If you could help me i would be very greatful! thank you.
    I know that to find a normal vector which is perpendicular to another vector you use the cross product but i do not see how this will benefit me in this question as i am not given any vectors!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

A first step would be to find out which subspace we're talking about, i.e. write down what form the vectors of this subspace take.
  4. Apr 21, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

The subspace is {<x, y, z> in R3 | x - y + z = 0}. What sort of a geometric object is this subspace?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook