1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find average angular velocity?

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I had a physics lab and we found the 3 trials of revolution in 2 min then the result came as 1st=344rev
    2nd=332rev
    3rd=330rev
    (These numbers is from the calculation of Final (2min) - Initial start)
    Then it asked to find the average angular velocity for three of results.

2. Relevant equations
    1 rev= 2pi rad/60s

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I added all the revolutions 344+332+330 then converted to get average angular v
    1006rev/2min*2*pi(rad)/60s= 52.7rad/s
    Did I got it right?
    EDITED

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure what is spinning, but why is your 3rd trial value so high?? The average number of revolutions is the sum of the revolutions divided by three; once you get this average, then the average angular velocity is per your equation, but with the corrected value for the average number of revolutions inserted therein.

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    my bad. the 3rd is 330rev.
    Umm I'm not quite follow.
    t

5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you stated
    why are you adding them...to find the average, you add them and divide by 3.... if 3 friends are 6,7, and 8 years old, their average age is (6 + 7 + 8)/3 = 21/3 = 7 years old, right? So use your average revs in the last equation and you should get the right answer for the average angular velocity based on the three trials....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook