Calculating Average Angular Velocity

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the average angular velocity of a dc electric motor, given its angular displacement equation and the time at which its angular velocity is 0. The attempt at a solution involves taking the derivative and solving for t=0, but the result is incorrect due to a misunderstanding of the question, which asks for average angular velocity rather than instantaneous velocity.
mathnoobie

Homework Statement

At t=0 the current to a dc electric motor is reversed, resulting in an angular displacement of the motor shaft given by
theta(t)=246t-20.6t^2-1.47t^3

Calculate the average angular velocity for the time period from t=0 to the time calculated when the angular velocity of the motor shaft is 0.

Homework Equations

delta(omega)/delta(time)

The Attempt at a Solution

The time the velocity of the motor shaft is 4.14. I got that from taking the derivative and solving for t=0.
I'm confused as to why my answer is wrong, when I plug in 4.14 into
246-41.2t-4.41t^2 to calculate the average angular velocity I get.
(2(41.2)(4.14)-4.41(4.14)^2-246)/(4.14-0)
I get an answer of -59.46 rad/s.

Can't seem to find where I went wrong, I did this on paper as well as on calculator to make sure I wasn't punching it in wrong and I came out with approximately the same result.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the question asks for average angular velocity (not instantaneous velocity).

TSny said:
Note that the question asks for average angular velocity (not instantaneous velocity).

Ah... thank you, I was helping someone with this and just couldn't seem to find my error.

What is average angular velocity?

Average angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating over a given period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in the object's angular displacement by the change in time.

How do you calculate average angular velocity?

To calculate average angular velocity, you need to measure the change in the object's angular displacement (Δθ) and the change in time (Δt). Then, divide the change in angular displacement by the change in time: ω = Δθ/Δt. The unit for average angular velocity is radians per second (rad/s).

What is the difference between average and instantaneous angular velocity?

Average angular velocity is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous angular velocity is the angular velocity at a specific moment in time. Average angular velocity gives an overall measure of how fast an object is rotating, while instantaneous angular velocity can vary at different points in time.

Can average angular velocity be negative?

Yes, average angular velocity can be negative. This occurs when an object is rotating in the clockwise direction, which is considered the negative direction. A negative average angular velocity means that the object's angular displacement is decreasing over time.

How can average angular velocity be used in real life?

Average angular velocity is used in many real-life applications, such as in the design of rotating machinery, analysis of sports movements, and navigation of spacecraft. It is also used in physics and engineering to study rotational motion and dynamics.