1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Average Angular Velocity

1. Oct 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At t=0 the current to a dc electric motor is reversed, resulting in an angular displacement of the motor shaft given by
    theta(t)=246t-20.6t^2-1.47t^3

Calculate the average angular velocity for the time period from t=0 to the time calculated when the angular velocity of the motor shaft is 0.

2. Relevant equations
    delta(omega)/delta(time)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The time the velocity of the motor shaft is 4.14. I got that from taking the derivative and solving for t=0.
    I'm confused as to why my answer is wrong, when I plug in 4.14 into
    246-41.2t-4.41t^2 to calculate the average angular velocity I get.
    (2(41.2)(4.14)-4.41(4.14)^2-246)/(4.14-0)
    I get an answer of -59.46 rad/s.

Can't seem to find where I went wrong, I did this on paper as well as on calculator to make sure I wasn't punching it in wrong and I came out with approximately the same result.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that the question asks for average angular velocity (not instantaneous velocity).

4. Oct 28, 2012 #3
    Ah... thank you, I was helping someone with this and just couldn't seem to find my error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook