How to find cross sectional dimension of beam

In summary: The motor is just providing the end load.In summary, the problem requires calculating the necessary cross-sectional dimension of a steel cantilever beam to mount an electric motor at its free end, while limiting the amplitude of vibration to 0.5cm. The electric motor has a mass of 75kg and operates at 1200 RPM, producing a rotating force of 5000N. The necessary equations for solving the problem are given, but the values for ω and ω_n need to be determined. The value of ω can be calculated from the motor's speed, while ω_n requires knowing the material and cross-sectional shape of the beam. The value of k also needs to be adjusted to consider the effect of
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

If the electric motor of problem 3.66 is to be mounted at the free end of a steel cantilever beam of length ##5## m and the amplitude of vibration is to be limited to ##0.5## cm, find the necessary cross-sectional dimension of the beam. Include the weight of the beam in the computations.

The electric motor has mass of ##75## kg and speed ##1200## rpm at its mid spin. A rotating force of magnitude ##F_0 = 5000## N

Homework Equations

\begin{align}
I &= \frac{1}{12}bh^3\\
E &= \frac{m\omega_n^2\ell^3}{3I}\\
k_{eq} &= \frac{3EI}{\ell^3}\\
\omega_n &= \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}
\end{align}

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the amplitude of vibration is limited to 0.5cm,
$$
\frac{1}{200} = \sqrt{1 + (2\zeta r)^2}\lvert H(i\omega)\rvert
$$
where
$$
\lvert H(i\omega)\rvert = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1 - r^2)^2 + (2\zeta r)^2}}
$$
where ##r = \frac{\omega}{\omega_n}##, ##2\zeta\omega_n = \frac{c}{m}##
I solved for zeta in terms of r but I don't think that is leading any where
$$
\zeta = \pm\frac{\sqrt{\omega^4 - 2\omega^2\omega_n^2 - 39999\omega_n^4}}{2\omega\omega_n\sqrt{39999}}
$$
We can convert rpm to radians per sec by
$$
1200rpm\frac{2\pi}{1rev}\frac{1m}{60s} = 40\pi
$$
That is ##\omega = 40\pi## and our general equation of motion is
$$
m\ddot{x} + c\dot{x} + kx = 5000e^{40\pi it}
$$
The mass in the EOM is mass of motor plus mass of beam. How would I find the mass of the beam and the damping coefficient? If I can get these two pieces of information, I should be good to go.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:

Homework Statement

If the electric motor of problem 3.66 is to be mounted at the free end of a steel cantilever beam of length ##5## m and the amplitude of vibration is to be limited to ##0.5## cm, find the necessary cross-sectional dimension of the beam. Include the weight of the beam in the computations.

The electric motor has mass of ##75## kg and speed ##1200## rpm at its mid spin. A rotating force of magnitude ##F_0 = 5000## N

Homework Equations

\begin{align}
I &= \frac{1}{12}bh^3\\
E &= \frac{m\omega_n^2\ell^3}{3I}\\
k_{eq} &= \frac{3EI}{\ell^3}\\
\omega_n &= \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}
\end{align}

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the amplitude of vibration is limited to 0.5cm,
$$
0.5 = \sqrt{1 + (2\zeta r)^2}\lvert H(i\omega)\rvert
$$
where
$$
\lvert H(i\omega)\rvert = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1 - r^2)^2 + (2\zeta r)^2}}
$$
where ##r = \frac{\omega}{\omega_n}##, ##2\zeta\omega_n = \frac{c}{m}##

I need to know ##\omega## and ##\omega_n##

I solved for zeta in terms of r but I don't think that is leading any where
$$
\zeta = \pm\frac{\sqrt{\omega^4 - 2\omega^2\omega_n^2 - 39999\omega_n^4}}{2\omega\omega_n\sqrt{39999}}
$$
You need to understand what the variables in your formulas represent.

##\omega_n## is the natural frequency of the beam, and it is a function of E and the moment of inertia of the beam. The problem statement doesn't specify a beam material or a cross section shape, so E and I have to be determined using some subjective criteria. (The length of the beam is already specified, so it is not considered here). You should be aware that I = bh3/12 is correct only for beams having a rectangular cross section.

ω is the frequency of excitation, and the problem statement has already stated that the electric motor operates at 1200 RPM. Can you calculate what ω is at this speed?

k is a little trickier. You have the motor placed at mid-span of the beam, which implies that there is a certain static deflection produced in the beam. The problem also wants you to consider the mass of the beam in solving this problem. The k you have specified is that for a beam with a uniform distributed load, but what about the effect of the motor on the deflection of the beam?

SteamKing said:
ω is the frequency of excitation, and the problem statement has already stated that the electric motor operates at 1200 RPM. Can you calculate what ω is at this speed?

k is a little trickier. You have the motor placed at mid-span of the beam, which implies that there is a certain static deflection produced in the beam. The problem also wants you to consider the mass of the beam in solving this problem. The k you have specified is that for a beam with a uniform distributed load, but what about the effect of the motor on the deflection of the beam?

omega was added to the OP 11minutes ago and the motor is not a mid span it is at the free end which is stated in the question. The k I specified comes from the book for a cantilever beam with end load which is the scenario we have.

1. What is a cross-sectional dimension of a beam?

A cross-sectional dimension of a beam refers to the physical measurements of a beam in its cross-sectional plane. This includes the width, height, and depth of the beam, which are important factors in determining its strength and load-bearing capacity.

2. How is the cross-sectional dimension of a beam calculated?

The cross-sectional dimension of a beam can be calculated by measuring the width and height of the beam at its widest point, and the depth of the beam at its thickest point. These measurements can then be used in mathematical formulas to determine the overall dimensions of the beam.

3. Why is it important to know the cross-sectional dimension of a beam?

The cross-sectional dimension of a beam is crucial in determining its structural integrity and load-bearing capacity. Knowing the dimensions can help engineers and builders select the appropriate beam for a specific construction project, ensuring safety and durability.

4. Are there any standard sizes for cross-sectional dimensions of beams?

Yes, there are standard sizes for cross-sectional dimensions of beams, which are determined by industry standards and building codes. These sizes may vary depending on the type of beam and the materials used, but they provide a general guideline for construction projects.

5. Can the cross-sectional dimension of a beam be altered?

Yes, the cross-sectional dimension of a beam can be altered to fit specific construction needs. This can be done by adjusting the width, height, and depth of the beam, or by using different materials that may have different dimensions. However, it is important to consult with a structural engineer to ensure the altered dimension can still support the intended load.