1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find cross sectional dimension of beam

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If the electric motor of problem 3.66 is to be mounted at the free end of a steel cantilever beam of length ##5## m and the amplitude of vibration is to be limited to ##0.5## cm, find the necessary cross-sectional dimension of the beam. Include the weight of the beam in the computations.

The electric motor has mass of ##75## kg and speed ##1200## rpm at its mid spin. A rotating force of magnitude ##F_0 = 5000## N

2. Relevant equations
    \begin{align}
    I &= \frac{1}{12}bh^3\\
    E &= \frac{m\omega_n^2\ell^3}{3I}\\
    k_{eq} &= \frac{3EI}{\ell^3}\\
    \omega_n &= \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}
    \end{align}
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the amplitude of vibration is limited to 0.5cm,
    $$
    \frac{1}{200} = \sqrt{1 + (2\zeta r)^2}\lvert H(i\omega)\rvert
    $$
    where
    $$
    \lvert H(i\omega)\rvert = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1 - r^2)^2 + (2\zeta r)^2}}
    $$
    where ##r = \frac{\omega}{\omega_n}##, ##2\zeta\omega_n = \frac{c}{m}##
    I solved for zeta in terms of r but I dont think that is leading any where
    $$
    \zeta = \pm\frac{\sqrt{\omega^4 - 2\omega^2\omega_n^2 - 39999\omega_n^4}}{2\omega\omega_n\sqrt{39999}}
    $$
    We can convert rpm to radians per sec by
    $$
    1200rpm\frac{2\pi}{1rev}\frac{1m}{60s} = 40\pi
    $$
    That is ##\omega = 40\pi## and our general equation of motion is
    $$
    m\ddot{x} + c\dot{x} + kx = 5000e^{40\pi it}
    $$
    The mass in the EOM is mass of motor plus mass of beam. How would I find the mass of the beam and the damping coefficient? If I can get these two pieces of information, I should be good to go.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to understand what the variables in your formulas represent.

##\omega_n## is the natural frequency of the beam, and it is a function of E and the moment of inertia of the beam. The problem statement doesn't specify a beam material or a cross section shape, so E and I have to be determined using some subjective criteria. (The length of the beam is already specified, so it is not considered here). You should be aware that I = bh3/12 is correct only for beams having a rectangular cross section.

ω is the frequency of excitation, and the problem statement has already stated that the electric motor operates at 1200 RPM. Can you calculate what ω is at this speed?

k is a little trickier. You have the motor placed at mid-span of the beam, which implies that there is a certain static deflection produced in the beam. The problem also wants you to consider the mass of the beam in solving this problem. The k you have specified is that for a beam with a uniform distributed load, but what about the effect of the motor on the deflection of the beam?

4. Oct 16, 2014 #3
    omega was added to the OP 11minutes ago and the motor is not a mid span it is at the free end which is stated in the question. The k I specified comes from the book for a cantilever beam with end load which is the scenario we have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted