How to find derivative of tanh^-1(x)

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sozener1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
sozener1
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
how do I find the derivative of tanh^-1(sinh(2x))

do I just find derivative of tanh^-1(x) this then substitute sinh(2x) into x??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sozener1 said:
how do I find the derivative of tanh^-1(sinh(2x))

do I just find derivative of tanh^-1(x) this then substitute sinh(2x) into x??

Yes, but since the Chain Rule applies here, you must not forget the inner derivative.

It is also possible that this can be rewritten and simplified, but I'm too tired to figure this out now...
 
Chain Rule, Chain Rule, Chain Rule!
[itex]\frac{d}{dx} (\tanh^{-1} \sinh 2x) = \frac{d}{dx} (\tanh^{-1} \sinh 2x) \cdot \frac{d}{dx} \sinh 2x = \frac{1}{1 - \sinh^2 2x} \cdot 2\cosh2x[/itex]
Thus,
[itex]\frac{d}{dx} (\tanh^{-1} \sinh 2x) = \frac{2 \cosh 2x}{1 - \sinh^2 2x}[/itex]