How to find emissivity of tungsten from ln graph?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
dinospamoni
Messages
90
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm doing a lab where I'm trying to find the emissivity of a tungsten filament. I measured voltage and current of a bulb with a tungsten filament and found the power. Then I plotted Power vs Temperature^4 and used the slope along with surface area and Boltzmann's constant to find the emissivity. But I am expected to plot ln(P) vs ln(T) and find the emissivity and I can't quite figure out how to do that.

Homework Equations



I plotted it bas on this equation

ln(P) = ln(a) +n ln(T)

which was derived from the equation

P = aT^n




The Attempt at a Solution



I'm lost for this part. I've found everything else I'm supposed to except for this. i found n to be close enough to 4 and can find a from the intercept, but I'm not really sure what a stands for. Is that the emissivity?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like a=Aeσ. Finding the Surface area of the tungsten element might be tricky. Perhaps you need to measure the resistance of the element, estimate length and determine surface area.
 
Ah of course that makes tons of sense. I have the surface area so now I have everything I need. Thanks!