How to find energy if mass and height is given?

In summary, the energy needed to throw a 1kg ball vertically upward and reach a maximum height of 18m is 176.34 joules, and the initial speed of the ball should be 18.78m/s. However, this may be a result of rounding off the velocity. The work energy theorem can also be used to calculate the energy, with the same result.
Echy14
If you are going to throw a 1kg ball vertically upward and reach a maximum height of 18m. A)How much energy is needed?
B)What should be the initial speed of the ball?

My solution:
mgh=1/2mv^2
v=√2gh
v=√2(9.8)(18)
v=18.78m/s

In getting the energy
I derived the work energy theorem
2w=vo^2
2w=18.78^2
w=176.34 joules
I'm not sure if my answer is correct so I would be extremely grateful if someone could check it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Echy14 said:
If you are going to throw a 1kg ball vertically upward and reach a maximum height of 18m. A)How much energy is needed?
B)What should be the initial speed of the ball?

My solution:
mgh=1/2mv^2
v=√2gh
v=√2(9.8)(18)
v=18.78m/s
Correct.
Echy14 said:
In getting the energy
I derived the work energy theorem
2w=vo^2
2w=18.78^2
w=176.34 joules
By my reckoning, you are a decimal place off. It is likely a result of your rounding off the velocity.

Note that instead of using the velocity, you could have simply used the fact that work = change in energy = mgh. Do you see?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding on the fact that you had just said, that was actually my first solution but seeing that they both have the same result. I decided to use this one instead.

1. How do mass and height affect the amount of energy available?

The mass and height of an object are two factors that contribute to its potential energy. The higher the mass and the greater the height, the more potential energy the object has.

2. Can you calculate the amount of energy using just mass and height?

Yes, the formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. By plugging in the values for mass and height, you can calculate the potential energy of an object.

3. How can I find the energy if only the mass and height are given?

To find the energy, you can use the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. Simply plug in the values and solve for PE.

4. Is there a difference in the amount of energy between objects with the same mass but different heights?

Yes, the amount of potential energy an object has is directly proportional to its height. So, two objects with the same mass but different heights will have different amounts of potential energy.

5. Can you use this equation to find the energy of any object?

No, this equation is specifically for finding the potential energy of an object due to its mass and height. To find the energy of other types of objects, you would need to use different equations that take into account other factors, such as velocity or temperature.