How to find energy if mass and height is given?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
Echy14
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
If you are going to throw a 1kg ball vertically upward and reach a maximum height of 18m. A)How much energy is needed?
B)What should be the initial speed of the ball?

My solution:
mgh=1/2mv^2
v=√2gh
v=√2(9.8)(18)
v=18.78m/s

In getting the energy
I derived the work energy theorem
2w=vo^2
2w=18.78^2
w=176.34 joules
I'm not sure if my answer is correct so I would be extremely grateful if someone could check it.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Echy14 said:
If you are going to throw a 1kg ball vertically upward and reach a maximum height of 18m. A)How much energy is needed?
B)What should be the initial speed of the ball?

My solution:
mgh=1/2mv^2
v=√2gh
v=√2(9.8)(18)
v=18.78m/s
Correct.
Echy14 said:
In getting the energy
I derived the work energy theorem
2w=vo^2
2w=18.78^2
w=176.34 joules
By my reckoning, you are a decimal place off. It is likely a result of your rounding off the velocity.

Note that instead of using the velocity, you could have simply used the fact that work = change in energy = mgh. Do you see?
 
Thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding on the fact that you had just said, that was actually my first solution but seeing that they both have the same result. I decided to use this one instead.