How to find equilibrium temperature of a system

In summary: Just think of one of the gas volumes to start with. If a quantity of heat ##\Delta Q## escapes, what remains constant? What is the resulting temperature? If you need to invent an unknown for specific heat, do so. Maybe it will cancel later on.
hunterstein

Homework Statement

A gas is in an insulated box, which is divided into two portions by an insulated partition. There are n1 moles of the gas at temperature T1 in volume V1, and likewise n2 moles of the (same) gas at temperature T2 in volume V2. The partition is composed of two layers; one layer is insulating (e.g. mashed newspaper) and the other layer is not (e.g., metal). The insulating layer is gently removed, but the non-insulating partition remains. The system is allowed to come to equilibrium.

a) What is the equilibrium temperature of the system?
b) If n1 = n2 what is the equilibrium temperature?
c) Use your result to find the equilibrium temperature for the situation when a small amount of milk is added to very hot tea. More precisely, let = n1/n2 and let δ = T1/T2 and assume that 1 and δ 1. Then expand the expression for the equilibrium temperature to first order in and to first order in δ. You can do this by first expanding in one parameter, then the other.

Can someone help me out with this? Please do not feed me the answer, I need to learn and understand this subject

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it in terms of energy. The system has a certain amount of energy in the form of thermal/kinetic energy. Since it is isolated from the environment the total thermal energy will not change, just redistribute. Does that help?

LunaFly said:
Think about it in terms of energy. The system has a certain amount of energy in the form of thermal/kinetic energy. Since it is isolated from the environment the total thermal energy will not change, just redistribute. Does that help?

I was thinking like that, and the first thing that popped into my head is that the equilibrium Temperature would be T1 + T2, but that can't be right

hunterstein said:
I was thinking like that, and the first thing that popped into my head is that the equilibrium Temperature would be T1 + T2, but that can't be right
That's not quite right. The temperature of the system isn't a constant. The thermal energy is what's constant. How does the temperature relate to thermal energy? (there is an equation...)

LunaFly said:
That's not quite right. The temperature of the system isn't a constant. The thermal energy is what's constant. How does the temperature relate to thermal energy? (there is an equation...)

E= c * m * deltaT? I was thinking that had something to do with it, but specific heat or mass isn't mentioned at all.

hunterstein said:
E= c * m * deltaT? I was thinking that had something to do with it, but specific heat or mass isn't mentioned at all.
Just think of one of the gas volumes to start with. If a quantity of heat ##\Delta Q## escapes, what remains constant? What is the resulting temperature? If you need to invent an unknown for specific heat, do so. Maybe it will cancel later on.

1. How do I calculate the equilibrium temperature of a system?

To calculate the equilibrium temperature of a system, you will need to know the heat capacity, initial temperatures, and heat transfer rates of each component in the system. Then, use the formula Q = mcΔT to calculate the heat transfer for each component. Finally, set the heat transfer for each component equal to each other and solve for the equilibrium temperature.

2. What is the significance of finding the equilibrium temperature of a system?

The equilibrium temperature is important because it represents the point at which the system has reached thermal equilibrium. This means that the heat energy within the system is evenly distributed and there is no net heat transfer occurring. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior and stability of a system.

3. Can the equilibrium temperature of a system change?

Yes, the equilibrium temperature of a system can change depending on external factors such as changes in heat transfer rates or changes in the composition of the system. It is important to regularly monitor and calculate the equilibrium temperature of a system to ensure it is functioning properly.

4. What are some common methods for finding the equilibrium temperature of a system?

Some common methods for finding the equilibrium temperature of a system include using mathematical formulas, conducting experiments, and using computer simulations. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to choose the most appropriate method for your specific system.

5. How does the equilibrium temperature of a system relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The equilibrium temperature of a system is a direct result of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat energy always flows from hot to cold until thermal equilibrium is reached. The equilibrium temperature represents the point at which this heat transfer has reached a balance and there is no longer a net flow of heat energy.