How to Find Heat Absorbed and Entropy Change in a Copper Block?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
dancergirlie
Messages
194
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find (a) the energy absorbed as heat and (b) the change in entropy of a 2.00 kg block of copper whose
temperature is increased reversibly from 25°C to 100°C. The specific heat of copper is 386 J/kg K .


Homework Equations



dS=dQ/T
dS=nRln(final volume/initial volume) **for an ideal gas**

The Attempt at a Solution

\

Well I got the first part. The energy is just
dQ=cmdT
which is (386)(2)(75K)= 57900J

however, when i got to the second part, I didn't know what to do since the copper isn't an ideal gas, and it has a non-constant temperature so I can't use the first equation. Any help would be appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Entropy Thermodynamics problem

Homework Statement



Find (a) the energy absorbed as heat and (b) the change in entropy of a 2.00 kg block of copper whose
temperature is increased reversibly from 25°C to 100°C. The specific heat of copper is 386 J/kg K .

Homework Equations



dS=dQ/T
dS=nr ln(vf/vi) **for an ideal gas**

The Attempt at a Solution



The first part was relatively easy. I just used the equation:
dQ=cmdT
so, dQ=(386)(2)(75)=57900 J

But for the 2nd part, I don't know what to do because copper is not an ideal gas, ruling out the 2nd equation, and the temperature is not constant, meaning I cannot use the first equation. Any help would be great!
 


dS = dQ/T
dQ = cmdT
dS = cmdT/T
Integrate both sides to get delta(S) = cm*ln(Tf/Ti); be sure to use Kelvin.
Its been a while since I've done thermodynamics, so I might be wrong...though I only applied a bit of mathematical procedure, so it seems as though it would be fine.