1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find lim as x -> inf. of sin(x) algebraically

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty } \sin x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that sin(x) oscillates between -1 and 1 as we go towards infinity in either direction, but if I didn't know what the graph looked like or the general behavior of sin(x), how would I write algebraically to show that the limit doesn't exist? The work I show is usually plugging in large numbers close to each other to show that the y-values of sin(x) oscillate, but I don't think that is a valid way of doing this unless I use like 10 different x-values and plug them all in.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

The usual definition of limit as x→∞ is:

[tex]\lim_{x \to \infty } \f(x)[/tex] =L

if, given ε>0 , there is an M such that for all x>M , |f(x)-L|<ε

So , algebraically, you can show the limit does not exist by choosing the right value

of ε for which the def. is not satisfied.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't "find the limit of sin(x) as x goes to infinity" because it does not have a limit. No matter how large x is, the will be larger values for which sin(x) has values of -1, 1, etc. sin(cx) does NOT get close to any one number as x goes to infinity.

5. Sep 2, 2012 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

But PhizKind is not trying to find the limit,but instead to show , algebraically,

that the limit does not exist.

6. Sep 2, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The function sin(x) is periodic, with period 2π. That means that sin(x+2kπ) = sin(x) for k = ±1, ±2, ±3, ... for any x. So, the graph of y = sin(x) for x between 10,000,000π and 10,000,002π is an exact copy of the graph of y = sin(x) for x between 0 and 2π.

RGV

7. Sep 2, 2012 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You need to use a formal definition for this question. In particular :

[itex]\forall[/itex]M>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]N | x>N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] f(x)>M

Then start with f(x) > M and massage it until you can find your suitable N.

8. Sep 2, 2012 #7

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I think you are referring here to the case where the limit is ∞, not the limit as x→∞.

For f(x)>1 , you willfind no M with the property you described.

9. Sep 2, 2012 #8

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Maybe you can do this by contradiction:

If the limit existed, and it was equal to L, you would be able to say that, when you

go far-enough (i.e., when x is largerthan M ), you can get to within any level of accuracy

(i.e., within ε ) to the limit.

This means, formally , that there is some M>0 with:

|Sinx-L|<ε when x>M

But this will not happen using , e.g., Ray Vickson's argument. You want:

-ε< Sinx-L <ε

But no matter what value of L you choose, L will oscillate.

10. Sep 2, 2012 #9

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ah yes I forgot about that, I meant to say |f(x)-L| < M, but using ε in this case would have been more appropriate than using M ( Even though it really doesn't matter just some formalism ).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook