Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find minimum turning points

1. May 25, 2014 #1
    I have a function:

f(x) = Asin2(x) + Bcos2(x) + Csin(2x)

and I want to find the minimum turning point(s). To start with, I calculated:

f'(x) = (A - B)sin(2x) + 2Ccos(2x)

Therefore, turning points occur when f'(x)=0, or:

tan(2x) = 2C / (B - A)

To find the minima, I then want to look at the 2nd derivative:

f''(x) = 2(A - B)cos(2x) - 4Csin(2x)

So, as far as I understand, minima will occur when both f'(x)=0 and f''(x)>0. So the second inequality can be expressed as:

2(A - B)cos(2x) > 4Csin(2x)

Now I'm having trouble knowing how to proceed. Since sin and cos can be positive or negative depending on x, I can't see a neat way of really understanding where the minima will be. Could anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Best to put [tex]
    f(x) = \frac12(A + B) + \frac12(B - A)\cos(2x) + C \sin(2x)
    = \frac12(A + B) + R\sin(2x + \alpha)
    [/tex]
    using [tex]
    R\sin(2x + \alpha) = R\sin(\alpha)\cos(2x) + R\cos(\alpha)\sin(2x).
    [/tex]
    The minima then occur when [itex]\sin(2x + \alpha) = -1[/itex].

4. May 25, 2014 #3
    Okay that's really clever... it's taken me a while to figure out how that works.

So, if I have [itex]0 \leq x < 2\pi[/itex], I think taking the arcsin would give:[tex]\alpha+2x=\frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]Then, given how we've defined [itex]\alpha[/itex], I feel like we can say:[tex]\tan\alpha = \frac{(B-A)}{2C}[/tex]Putting those things together, I get:[tex]x=\frac{3\pi}{4}-\frac{1}{2}\tan^{-1}\left\{\frac{(B-A)}{2C}\right\}[/tex]Hmm... but given that tan(x) repeats itself twice on the interval I'm interested in [itex](0 \leq x < 2\pi)[/itex] ... I feel like I've just reintroduced ambiguity.

I'm a bit out of my depth, so I've crunched some numbers with some computer simulations... and this x seems to sometimes give the minimum, sometimes the maximum. I feel like I need to somehow constrain (B - A)/2C ... but at the moment I'm somewhere on a slippery slope to proving 1 = 0...

5. May 25, 2014 #4
    I've looked more closely at my problem and have determined three further constraints:[tex]A\geq0\\B\geq0\\C\sin(2x)\geq0[/tex]Imposing these constraints seems to provide a unique solution in my computer simulations... but I'm not really certain why. Can anyone offer any insight?

6. May 26, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

That is to be expected, because [itex]f(x)[/itex] has a period of [itex]\pi[/itex], not [itex]2\pi[/itex]. Thus there are two minima in [itex]0 \leq x \leq 2\pi[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook