How to find mu without the force of friction

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the coefficient of friction when the force of friction is unknown. The equations and variables involved in the problem are stated, and the process of finding the resultant force and net force is explained. The formula for calculating friction force is also provided.
Chrismacs

Homework Statement

Well I am trying to figure out how to find mu if you don't know the force of friction

Homework Equations

An example is a 2.25 kg block is accelerating at an acceleration of 5 m/s/s and is on a 40 degree
ramp. What is the force of friction and what is mu?

The Attempt at a Solution

When I first look at this problem I write what I know

a=5 m/s/s
m=2.25kg
theta=40

and the equations I know:
Fw=m*g
Fnetx(perp)=sin(theta)*w
Fnety(perp)=cos(theta)*w
Ff=mu*Fn
Fn=Fwperp

But you see I think I am doing this problem wrong here because wouldn't the force of the weight parallel be greater than the force of friction?

Please if you can answer ant of my questions will you please do so.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, I would first find the resultant force, the force that's pulling the object down parallel the ramp.
Force resultant=sin(theta) mass x g

So if there was no friction, then the object would only have that force and would accelerate down more quickly than if there was
friction.

But since there's friction force acting in the opposite direction, then the object doesn't accelerate as quickly. So since Net force is what is currently acting on the object now, I would use
Net Force= Mass x Acceleration,
Net Force= 2.25 x 5

I would find the net force acting on the block. I would then subtract the resultant force from the Net force, and that would equal friction force.

With friction force, I would just then plug it into the equation. F(fric.)= Mu x (mg cos theta)

Note: This may not be correct, since I am also a newbie. However, I'm pretty sure it's right.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate mu without considering the force of friction?

To calculate mu, or the coefficient of friction, without considering the force of friction, you can use the formula mu = tan(theta), where theta is the angle of the incline or slope.

2. Is it possible to find mu without knowing the force of friction?

Yes, it is possible to find mu without knowing the force of friction. As mentioned before, you can use the formula mu = tan(theta) to calculate the coefficient of friction without considering the force of friction.

3. Can mu be negative if the force of friction is not considered?

No, mu cannot be negative even if the force of friction is not considered. The coefficient of friction is always a positive value, representing the ratio of the force of friction to the normal force.

4. Are there any limitations to using the formula mu = tan(theta) to find mu without the force of friction?

Yes, there are limitations to this formula. It assumes that the surface is perfectly smooth and there are no other external forces acting on the object. In real-world scenarios, there may be other factors that affect the coefficient of friction.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of the calculated value of mu without considering the force of friction?

To verify the accuracy of the calculated value of mu, you can conduct multiple trials and compare the results. You can also consult with other experts in the field or refer to literature for known values of mu for similar surfaces.