How to Find Psi(x,t) in an Infinite Potential Well?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
natugnaro
Messages
61
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Hi,
Particle of mass m is found in one-dimensional infinite potential well with walls 0<=x<=a.
In t=0 the normalized wave function is:
[tex]\psi(x,t=0)=A[1+Cos(\frac{\pi x}{a})]Sin(\frac{2 \pi x}{a})[/tex]

find psi(x,t)

Homework Equations



?

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\psi(x,t)=\sum C_{n} e^{\frac{-iE_{n}t}{\hbar}}\phi_{n}(x)[/tex]

[tex]C_{n}=\int^{a}_{0}\phi_{n}(x)\psi(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]C_{n}=\int^{a}_{0}Sin(\frac{n \pi x}{a})A[1+Cos(\frac{\pi x}{a})]Sin(\frac{2 \pi x}{a})dx[/tex]


I could do the integral and find Cn coefficients, but it takes time.
Is there an easier way for findin psi(x,t) ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
natugnaro said:

Homework Statement


Hi,
Particle of mass m is found in one-dimensional infinite potential well with walls 0<=x<=a.
In t=0 the normalized wave function is:
[tex]\psi(x,t=0)=A[1+Cos(\frac{\pi x}{a})]Sin(\frac{2 \pi x}{a})[/tex]

find psi(x,t)

Homework Equations



?

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\psi(x,t)=\sum C_{n} e^{\frac{-iE_{n}t}{\hbar}}\phi_{n}(x)[/tex]

[tex]C_{n}=\int^{a}_{0}\phi_{n}(x)\psi(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]C_{n}=\int^{a}_{0}Sin(\frac{n \pi x}{a})A[1+Cos(\frac{\pi x}{a})]Sin(\frac{2 \pi x}{a})dx[/tex]


I could do the integral and find Cn coefficients, but it takes time.
Is there an easier way for findin psi(x,t) ?

I don't think so, perhaps if you use tables of standard integrals or maple / mathematica.
 
Ok, thanks.
Just wanted to make shure I'm not missing something.
 
natugnaro said:
Ok, thanks.
Just wanted to make shure I'm not missing something.


there is standard integrals for ortonogal cos and sin integrals, if you want more hints.