How to find RAAN and argument of perigee for a satellite?

In summary, To find the RAAN and argument of perigee of a satellite, you will need to use the values of period, inclination, apogee, and perigee to calculate the semi-major axis and eccentricity. Then, for the RAAN, you will need to take into account the reference direction and measure the angle from that to the ascending node in an eastward direction. For the argument of perigee, measure the angle from the ascending node to the perigee. Any further help can be found in the provided links.
yzma
I have some values and by using them I need to find the RAAN and argument of perigee of a satellite. I have the period, inclination, apogee and perigee (as values not vectors), found semi-major axis and the eccentricity, but facing difficulty on how to proceed on calculating RAAN and the argument of perigee!
any help will be greatly appreciated

Astronomy news on Phys.org
For the RAAN, you'll need to take the reference direction into account (First Point of Aries), and measure the angle from that to the ascending node in an eastward direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longitude_of_the_ascending_node

For the argument of perigee, measure the angle from the ascending node to the perigee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_of_periapsis

1280px-Orbit1.svg.png

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is RAAN and argument of perigee for a satellite?

RAAN (Right Ascension of the Ascending Node) and argument of perigee are two orbital elements used to describe the position and orientation of a satellite in its orbit around the Earth. RAAN is the angle between the vernal equinox and the point where the satellite's orbit crosses the Earth's equatorial plane from south to north. Argument of perigee is the angle between the satellite's ascending node and its closest approach to the Earth, known as perigee.

2. Why is it important to know the RAAN and argument of perigee for a satellite?

Knowing these orbital elements is crucial for tracking and predicting the movement of a satellite in orbit. They are also used in orbital maneuvers and for coordinating with other satellites in the same orbital plane.

3. How can I calculate the RAAN and argument of perigee for a satellite?

The RAAN and argument of perigee can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the satellite's orbital parameters, such as its inclination, eccentricity, and orbital period. These equations can be found in textbooks or online resources.

4. Can I determine the RAAN and argument of perigee for any satellite?

Yes, as long as you have the necessary orbital parameters, you can calculate the RAAN and argument of perigee for any satellite. However, keep in mind that these elements may change over time due to orbital perturbations.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help me find the RAAN and argument of perigee for a satellite?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools that can calculate these orbital elements for a given satellite. Some examples include satellite tracking websites, orbital simulation software, and satellite tracking apps.