Calculating Orbit Parameters Given Perigee Velocity and Period

In summary, The conversation is discussing how to determine the orbit parameters of a satellite in Earth orbit with a perigee velocity of 8 km/s and a period of 2 hours. The equations being used are the vis viva equation for general orbits and Kepler's third law. The eccentricity of the orbit is found to be less than 0.2, but the calculations for semi-major axis and eccentricity are incorrect. The correct equations should be used and the units should be checked.
dorai007
Hi guys,

i can't seem to find the answer .

A satellite in Earth orbit has a perigee velocity of 8 km=s and period of 2 hours. From this information,
determine all the orbit parameters that you can. From those parameters, determine its altitude at perigee
--------------------------------------------------------

my vp=8km/sec
T=7200sec
Vp=sqrt(GM/r)---is this right and is r =rp?

how do i calculate my semi major axis? is it from kepler's 3rd law? I am stuck at finding rp and eccenctricity and I've been going at this for hours without proper examples in books/online.

Someone please help!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
dorai007 said:
Vp=sqrt(GM/r)---is this right and is r =rp?
That equation is valid only for circular orbits. The vis viva equation provides a more general answer:

[tex]\frac{v^2}{GM} = \frac 2 r - \frac 1 a[/tex]
how do i calculate my semi major axis? is it from kepler's 3rd law?
Correct. So show some work so we can help you out a bit.

but if its vis viva will my eccentricity value be more than 0.2..thats the value I am getting, this is how I am doing my calculations

1) equation 1 : mag(h)=mag(rp)*mag(v)
equation 2: mag(rp)= [mag(h)^2/GM]/(1+ecos(v) - trajectory eqn
equation 3: T= 2phi/sqrt(GM) * (mag(h))^3/2

i am to solve 3 unknowns mag(h),rp and e by simultaneous eqns by substituting all the equations into one another.

ive done it a couple of times, either I am getting a negative value for e(-0.1) which shldnt be the case.

But my qn here is. if v=8000m/sec what is mag(v)? and in this case will a=mag(h) ?

dorai007 said:
but if its vis viva will my eccentricity value be more than 0.2..thats the value I am getting,
Then you are doing it wrong. The eccentricity is less than 0.2. Show your work.

this is how I am doing my calculations

1) equation 1 : mag(h)=mag(rp)*mag(v)
equation 2: mag(rp)= [mag(h)^2/GM]/(1+ecos(v) - trajectory eqn
equation 3: T= 2phi/sqrt(GM) * (mag(h))^3/2
Your equation 1 is only valid for circular orbits, and for elliptical orbits at perifocus and apofocus. (Since the given data point is perigee, this equation is okay here.) Your equation 3 however is only valid for circular orbits.

Try finding a formula that relates semi-major axis (rather than specific angular momentum) to the period.

But my qn here is. if v=8000m/sec what is mag(v)? and in this case will a=mag(h) ?
The magnitude of the velocity vector is of course 8000m/s. As far as a=mag(h), no. Look at the units. Specific angular momentum(h) has units of length2/time. Semi-major axis (a) has units of length.

I would suggest using the following equations to calculate the orbit parameters:

1) Semi-major axis (a) can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law: a = (GM*T^2/4π^2)^(1/3), where G is the gravitational constant (6.67408 × 10^-11 m^3 kg^-1 s^-2), M is the mass of the Earth (5.972 × 10^24 kg), and T is the period in seconds.

2) Perigee distance (rp) can be calculated using the equation: rp = a(1-e), where e is the eccentricity of the orbit. The eccentricity can be found by using the equation: e = (Vp^2*a)/GM - 1, where Vp is the perigee velocity.

3) Altitude at perigee can be calculated by subtracting the radius of the Earth (6371 km) from the perigee distance (rp).

I would also recommend checking your calculations with sample problems or consulting with a colleague or mentor for assistance. It's important to have a solid understanding of the equations and their applications in order to accurately calculate the orbit parameters. Good luck!

Related to Calculating Orbit Parameters Given Perigee Velocity and Period

1. How do you calculate the semi-major axis given perigee velocity and period?

The semi-major axis can be calculated using the following formula:
a = (G*M*T^2 / 4*pi^2)^(1/3)
Where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11), M is the mass of the central body, and T is the orbital period.

2. What is the relationship between perigee velocity and eccentricity?

There is an inverse relationship between perigee velocity and eccentricity. As perigee velocity increases, eccentricity decreases. This means that a higher perigee velocity results in a more circular orbit, while a lower perigee velocity results in a more elliptical orbit.

3. How can you calculate the apoapsis velocity using perigee velocity and eccentricity?

The apoapsis velocity can be calculated using the following formula:
V_apoapsis = V_perigee / (1 - e)
Where e is the eccentricity of the orbit.

4. What is the significance of calculating orbit parameters?

Calculating orbit parameters is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in space. It can also help in planning and executing space missions, such as satellite launches or spacecraft trajectories.

5. Can orbit parameters change over time?

Yes, orbit parameters can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational forces from other celestial bodies, atmospheric drag, and thrust from propulsion systems. These changes can be predicted and calculated using orbital mechanics equations.