How to find standard deviation

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the standard deviation for a set of data. The formula for standard deviation was provided and explained, and it was stated that all X values must be provided to use the formula. The process for finding the standard deviation was also outlined.
zak100

Homework Statement

For the five data 0, 7, 8, 10, and 10 find the standard deviation.

Homework Equations

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/how-to-find-the-standard-deviation.138607/

I know the formula:
Z = (X-Mew)/Sigma
Sigma = Standard Deviation
Mew = Mean = 7
X= score?
Z= number of standard deviation=?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found mean which is 7 but i don't know how to find Z & X. Some body please guide me.
Zulfi.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the standard deviation?

You are not being asked for Z, and all your X values are given. What you are missing is the sigma, or standard deviation.
In case your google search for "how to calculate standard deviation" didn't return any results, here is a start.
Standard deviation is defined as the square root of the variance, which is the average of the squared distances from the mean.
In formulaic terms, you have:
## \sigma^2 = \frac{ \sum_{i = 1}^N (X_i-\mu)^2 }{N}##
If these data refer to a sample and not the whole data set, then your denominator changes to (N-1). That's all.

Hi,
Hi,

I was not aware of the formula provided in post#3. I thought there is only one formula. Through post#3 I am able to find out the difference between the two formulae. To use the one provided in post#3, all X values must be provided:

Sigma^2 = ((0-7)^2 + (7-7)^2 + (8-7)^2 + (10-7)^2+ (10-7)^2)/5 = 68/5

Therefore sigma= 3.7

Thanks, God bless you.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
I was not aware of the formula provided in post#3.
Yes you were. WBahn gave you link http://bfy.tw/DBqv

What is standard deviation and why is it important?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from its mean (average) value. It is important because it allows us to understand the variability and distribution of a data set, which can help us make more accurate predictions and draw meaningful conclusions.

How do you calculate standard deviation?

The standard deviation is calculated by taking the square root of the variance. The variance is found by taking the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean. This can be done using a formula or through statistical software.

What is the difference between population standard deviation and sample standard deviation?

Population standard deviation is used when we have data for the entire population, while sample standard deviation is used when we only have data for a smaller subset of the population. The formulas for calculating these two types of standard deviation are slightly different, but they both measure the same concept of variability in a data set.

When should I use standard deviation as a measure of variability?

Standard deviation is best used when the data is normally distributed, meaning that it follows a bell-shaped curve. It may not be an appropriate measure of variability for skewed or heavily skewed data sets. In these cases, other measures such as median absolute deviation may be more suitable.

Can standard deviation be negative?

No, standard deviation cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or zero. This is because the squared differences used in the calculation will always result in positive numbers. If the standard deviation is zero, it means that there is no variability in the data set and all the values are the same.