How to find t1,t2 when only given t3

• Thread starter link107
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to determine the magnitudes of vectors T1 and T2, given their angles and the magnitude of T3, such that the sum of all vectors is zero. The angles for T1 and T2 are 37 degrees north west and 53 degrees north east, respectively, while T3 has a magnitude of 127.4. The solution involves finding the angle between T1 and T2 and using the components of vector along the resultant.
link107

Homework Statement

Determine the magnitude of vectors T1
& T2 such that the sum of all the
vectors is zero.
Use T3 = 127.4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to plot it out and stuff but I never worked with these kinds of problems what is a good way to solve for t1 and t2 when only given the angles. t1 angle = 37 degrees north west, and t2 angle is 53 degrees north east? while t3 has no angle given just it's magnitude which is 127.4 how would I solve? for t1 and t2's magnitude using the information listed?

Physics news on Phys.org
From the given data can you find the angle between T1 and T2?
Do you know how to find the components of vector along the resultant?

1. How do I find t1 and t2 when I am only given t3?

In order to find t1 and t2 when only given t3, you will need to have at least two more equations or pieces of information. This could include the initial velocity, the acceleration, or the displacement. Using these additional pieces of information, you can set up a system of equations to solve for t1 and t2.

2. Can I use the equation t1 + t2 = t3 to find t1 and t2?

No, this equation alone is not sufficient to find t1 and t2. The equation t1 + t2 = t3 only tells us the total time, but not the individual times. You will need at least one more equation or piece of information to solve for t1 and t2.

3. Is it possible to find t1 and t2 if I only know the final time t3?

Yes, it is possible to find t1 and t2 with just the final time t3, but you will need to know the initial velocity, the acceleration, or the displacement. Without this additional information, it is not possible to solve for t1 and t2.

4. Can I use the same method to find t1 and t2 for any type of motion?

Yes, the same method can be used to find t1 and t2 for any type of motion, as long as you have enough information (at least two equations or pieces of information) to set up a system of equations.

5. What should I do if I am given more than three times (t1, t2, t3) for a motion problem?

If you are given more than three times for a motion problem, you can still use the same method to find t1 and t2. However, you will need to make sure that your system of equations includes all of the given times. You may also need to use additional equations or information to solve for all of the unknown variables.