How to find tension in a spring?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a mathematical relationship between tension in a spring and the firing range of a device similar to a slingshot. The conversation also considers the potential and kinetic energy involved in the device and any potential errors in the calculations. The variable "k" represents the spring constant and the maximum tension in the spring is kx, according to Hooke's law. To improve accuracy, the change in gravitational potential energy should also be considered.
nikkii128
This is more of a general question, but it relates to a school assignment...

So I am trying to find a mathematical relationship between tension in a spring and the firing range of a device that works basically the same way that a slingshot does.

The setup is basically just two springs on each side a guide and when pulled back and released they propel the object (placed where they join) through the guide.

So far I've got:

PE(in a spring) = (1/2).k.x2
KE=(1/2).m.v2

and just said that ideally, all PE (from both springs) would be converted to KE when the object is propelled.

(btw, x is distance springs are drawn back, m is mass of object propelled, v is velocity and k is the spring force constant)

so I equated them and ended up with:

v2 = C.k

where C is a constant of (x2)/m

and then range of projectile motion is:

R=[v2.sin(2.theta)]/g

and by subtituting v2 from before, i just get

R=ak

where a is just another constant

so to my actual question... does the variable k constitute 'tension in a spring' or is there some other equation I should know about that has the proper variable?

also, were there any errors in my calculations/understanding?

thankyou! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nikkii128 said:
so to my actual question... does the variable k constitute 'tension in a spring' or is there some other equation I should know about that has the proper variable?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. "k" is the spring constant of the spring you are using. The maximum tension in the spring will be kx, where x is the initial stretch of the spring. (See Hooke's law.)

also, were there any errors in my calculations/understanding?
You mentioned two springs, but it looks like you only considered the PE from one spring.

To make your analysis more accurate, you may want to consider the change in gravitational PE of the object during its propulsion by the spring.

1. How do I measure the spring constant of a spring?

To find the tension in a spring, you first need to know its spring constant, or the amount of force required to stretch the spring by a certain distance. This can be measured by using a simple experiment where you hang different weights from the spring and measure the extension of the spring for each weight. Then, you can plot a graph of force versus extension and the spring constant will be the slope of the line.

2. What is Hooke's law and how does it relate to finding tension in a spring?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is stretched or compressed. This means that as you increase the weight or force applied to a spring, the tension in the spring will also increase. By understanding Hooke's law, you can use it to calculate the tension in a spring when you know its spring constant and the amount it has been stretched.

3. Can I use the same method to find tension in a compressed spring?

Yes, the same method can be used to find the tension in a compressed spring. Instead of hanging weights from the spring, you would push on the spring to compress it and measure the force required to compress it by a certain distance. By plotting a graph of force versus compression, the spring constant can be determined and used to calculate the tension in the compressed spring.

4. How does the length of the spring affect the tension?

The length of a spring does not directly affect the tension in the spring. The tension is determined by the spring constant and the amount of stretch or compression. However, the length of the spring can indirectly affect the tension by changing the spring constant. A longer spring will typically have a lower spring constant, meaning it will require less force to stretch or compress it by a certain distance, resulting in less tension.

5. Can I use the same method for all types of springs?

Yes, the method for finding tension in a spring can be used for all types of springs, including helical (coil) springs, leaf springs, and torsion springs. However, the method may vary slightly depending on the type of spring and how it is being used. For example, a torsion spring would require measuring the torque instead of the force, but the same principles of Hooke's law and calculating the spring constant still apply.